removing programs not listed in add/remove -control panel

Discussion in 'Software' started by jak3y, Aug 18, 2005.

1. jak3y

jak3y Guest

well as the title says, im cleaning up a friends computer and he's got TONS of games and programs he doesnt use anymore, but, the thing is, they're not listed in the start-programs or the add/remove program in control panel.
    But when i check the c:\program files drive...whoaaa...tons of folders...what's the best way to remove these programs? just delete the folders and hunt them down in regedit? thanks in advance guys....

2. theven 4

theven 4 Private First Class

well when i delete games in add/remove program it almost always leaves folders half-empty so it would be better if you removed them manually including the desktop chortcuts.

the add/remove program is for people who don't understand windows. :rolleyes:

3. Brandon

Brandon controlmind

Most programs leave there folder in C:\Program Files so just manually delete them. Then run your registry cleaner and it should pick up the remains of the files.

controlmind

4. theefool

theefool Geekified

Yes, though, if not displayed in the add/remove programs, delete the folders in question, then run your favorite registry cleaner.

Crap cleaner is my current fav.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4191

Last edited: Aug 18, 2005
  5. jak3y

jak3y Guest

well i used regscrub...funny enough tho'...outta curiosity id check regedit and do a "find" search and say im lookin for Sims (which will be the case)...ill look for anything "sierra" the manufacturer and itll be there...so im not sure if reg cleaners do catch these things properly....
    ...also i deleted one of his other users who were "comp. admins" type access...is it possible that the games/programs in question were set up under that ID...and that they may be in the start-programs menu?....either way, is it safe to delete the folders manually...really?....

6. theven 4

theven 4 Private First Class

well i don't know if you are still there, but yes it's safe to delete folders manually as long as you don't delete anything the system needs. :D so go ahead.

7. jak3y

jak3y Guest

well im deleting the folders only, not touching anything in the regedit area ;)

8. jak3y

jak3y Guest

thanks...gonna try it on my next victim, since i already gave back the computer to them lol

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds