BOOTMGR is missing.. please help me

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lowie57, Oct 5, 2008.

1. lowie57

lowie57 Private First Class

ok i have read a couple posts about this but my situation is a little different,

I just built a new system yesterday.. and while setting up partitions on my 500g HDD when i was installing vista everything seemed ok, i set up a 100g, a 400g partition.. but when it was all installed the 400g partition did not show up.

i tried using the tools to change them in windows but it kept giving me an error.. so i marked it as active (from reading this is what started the problem) so i decided to start again.. i turned it off.. ran the vista setup at boot.. and everything seemed fine.. but then when i went to select a partition to install vista on it said that the volume was not suitable for the installation.. the 400g partition was still unallocated and every time i tried to allocate it it would give me errors.

so nothing was working, so i tried to reboot again.. come back to the partition screen but this time there was no partitions at all.. i couldnt chose to install on anything.. so i restarted again.. and now its giving me this BOOTMGR is missing.. press key to restart.

From post i have read everyone seems to be able to boot off the vista dvd, i have changed my BIOS to boot off of my dvd drive but it still gives me the error msg and does not give me the option of booting from disk..

This is so frustrating.. just spent $1700 on this system and i cant use it!!

help would be muchly appreciated.

my system is as follows if you need to know

Core 2 Quad Q6600
    ASUS P5E-VM
    4g OCZ pc8500 ram
    ATI HD4870 512mb
    500g Seagate HDD

2. lowie57

ok, i managed to get into vista setup, i just kept pressing enter before the boot cd option comes up, so i can get into the dvd now, but in the list of HDD's to install vista on there is none there, my hdd does show up in the bios tho..

do i need to reinstall drivers for my hard drive? if so i cant seem to find them, my hdd is a Seagate ST3500320AS Baracuda 7200.11 500GB 7200rpm Serial ATAII 32mb Cache, NCQ, Perpendicular Recording

3. chaimjm

chaimjm Staff Sergeant

You are going to have to install your sata drivers by pressing F6 during the Windows installation, do you have them on a floppy?. If you don’t or don’t have a floppy drive you will have to integrate them into the window installation disk. You can use nlite to do this.

4. lowie57

where would i find my sata drivers?

5. chaimjm

chaimjm Staff Sergeant

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds