WinXP sp2 to sp3 Update Fails

Discussion in 'Software' started by SnwDvl, Apr 6, 2011.

1. SnwDvl

SnwDvl Private E-2

Hello all. I'm having a problem updating an old laptop from WinXP sp2 to sp3. I did a bit of searching around before I made this post, and I found this knowledge base article(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/327101) that seems to be ringing a bell about a program long ago uninstalled, that I used to change the XP startup screen. I cannot recall the name of the program now, and the instructions in the article seem a little above my "tinkering" comfort zone.
    I do apologize if I've left out any information needed to help with this, but I've been at this all day. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. pistol

pistol Private First Class

did you try the instructions from the link you provided ?
    if you see anything after the "fast detect "portion of the entry(IE:/kernel=ntkrnlmp.exe)delete that part up to and including the "/",save,restart,then try to install SP3 again

3. SnwDvl

SnwDvl Private E-2

The program has been uninstalled, and I don't know enough about this boot.ini file to be comfortable mucking about in it.
    I did follow the instructions to open the file and have a look at it. This is what is in it:
    Code:
    [boot loader]
    timeout=3
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn /TUTag=UNCD1P /Kernel=TUKernel.exe
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (TuneUp Backup)" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn /TUTag=UNCD1P-BAK

Please advise as to what bit to delete/modify, and thank you for your fast reply. :)

4. pistol

i assume you are not using a separate partition ? if not,you should only be seeing the entrie as follows,

Code:
    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

5. SnwDvl

SnwDvl Private E-2

I went ahead and changed the boot.ini file and rebooted. Seems to have fixed the startup screen, but I'm still unable to install these updates and getting the same error messages when I go to the windows update history page. Any ideas on what else may be causing my problem?

6. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

7. SnwDvl

SnwDvl Private E-2

Ok, I got the exe file and saved it to my usb drive(the dvd drive on this laptop doesn't work), and tried to run it. It appeared to be going well, but about halfway through the installation stopped and it started "undoing all the changes" made by the failed update and rebooted. After the reboot it shows the update as ready to be installed in the automatic update notification, but goes through the same steps as above, saying Windows failed to update and will be restarted.
    Should I go to the malware section of the forums to get checked out?

8. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

Hi,
    I would do the Read Run Me Fiirst found here.....

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407

and post the logs in a new thread as is instructed, this may well be a virus/ malware infection that is stopping you from up-dating your windows.
    How large is your hard drive? is there plenty of free disc space?? are you having any other issues with downloading and running programs?? are all of your drivers up-to date??Do you have a restore point prior to when you started "tinkering" with your system??.

Please keep me up-dated on how things go over the malware forum by posting back here periodically, if you do keep this thread going other members may jump in and offer advice also.

iain.t :major

9. SnwDvl

SnwDvl Private E-2

The main hdd in this laptop is an 80GB and I also have a 500GB external unit, but there is @ 22GB free on the internal drive. I am having trouble installing/updating iTunes, now that you mention it. And, as far as I can tell all my drivers are up to date. I have already tried rolling back to a previous restore point, but I'm still having the same problems.
    I'll keep this thread updated as I go. Thank you again for your help.

10. theefool

theefool Geekified

Any help from eventvwr.msc that is related to the update?

Are ye using microsoft update or ye using the full sp3 "admin" install?

11. SnwDvl

SnwDvl Private E-2

I'm not sure what the eventvwr is, or how to use it, and I've used the automatic update, gone to the windows update site and downloaded the admin install, all of which were unsuccessful.

12. motc7

motc7 Vice Admiral (Starfleet)

Great suggestion. This looks like what my mom went through for months and Malwarebytes found an infection and nailed it.

13. oneeyejack

oneeyejack Guest

14. SnwDvl

SnwDvl Private E-2

Thank you, sir, I will run this and see what it turns up.

15. oneeyejack

oneeyejack Guest

Your welcome. Here's a link explaining the scanner. There are others but this sums it up pretty well!!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Live_OneCare_Safety_Scanner
    PS The first time you run the scanner, it will take a long time. Just be patient. it will finish and you might be surprised how it cleans your PC. You will have to run it on Internet Explorer. That's the draw back

16. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

What was in the History section of Windows Update the error code that may have resulted in SP3 not installing, in the main its due to a few things and notables are:

1. Corrupted Windows Update
    2. Not so kosher version of Windows (but not accusing)
    3. Antivirus application running, some have been know to upset Windows update, so disable to run Windows Update
    4. Malware infection

But you can initially run this update HERE to see if the update agent is the issue or run the Fixit HERE to see if it will reset Windows Update, I would reboot after the two options as a reboot finalises an install or fix in many cases.

17. oneeyejack

oneeyejack Guest

Hi David! Very nice reply! I was just about to post the same thing. I was not so lucky a long time ago; before I got smart and started making back up images of my OS and had to uninstall net frame, all three, and reinstall them before I could get up dates to work. That wasn't any fun. I used dotnetfx. A lot of work but, that's the only thing that worked for me.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/08/28/8904493.aspx

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2011
  18. oneeyejack

oneeyejack Guest

Net framework should look like this for xp3!!

Attached Files:

19. DavidGP

Weird as .Net as nothing to do with Windows update and the WUS (Update Servers) at Microsoft don't need to see .Net to work, may have been a strange coincidence, and your screenshots only show part of the picture as we also have .Net 4.0 which runs as a side by side for other .Net versions (as in .Net 3.5 etc) in Windows XP SP3.

.Net is installed in part by you as the user or via an application that uses the programming language or .Net for its core, Windows doesn't need it.

20. oneeyejack

oneeyejack Guest

I really have no comment. It was suggested by someone on another forum. I had not been unable to get 4 or 5 up dates to install. After reinstalling net framework, I was immediately able to install those up dates and I have had no more problems installing up dates. I had been fighting them for a long time and got tired of the yellow shield in my tray telling me up dates were ready and then having them fail. Not sure if I should install Net 4.0 at this time. Do you recommend doing that??
    Thank you!!

21. DavidGP

Hi

I wouldn't install .NET 4.0 if you don't need it, if a 3rd party application needs it it will install it. The .net uninstaller tool from Arron is worth a shot (I work at times with OOTB fixes) as never know as PCs are weird but Windows update doesn't need .Net.

22. oneeyejack

oneeyejack Guest

Hi David! I'm a long way from being a MVP at Microsoft but I try to learn and then share what I learn. I'm convinced the .net uninstaller tool worked for me. I can't explain it; it's been to long ago. I wish I could remember all the details, but I have a hard time remembering what I did yesterday.
    Thank you sir for your reply!
    PS I won't install 4.0 until I need it!! I just turned 73 today and boy do I feel it.:-D

23. SnwDvl

SnwDvl Private E-2

@oneeyejack - I ran the Live Onecare scan and it did indeed take quite some time to complete. It found and removed an ulltravlc file I think(I accidently closed the tab somehow while trying to copy the exact name).

@DavidGP - Failed updates showing are: Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 SP1 Security Update for Windows 2000 and Windows XP (KB979906) Error Code: 0x643

Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 6.0 Service Pack 2 (KB954459) Error Code: 0x643

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 1.0 Service Pack 3 (KB928367) Error Code: 0x643

Windows XP Service Pack 3 (KB936929) Error Code: 0x80070005

I did manage to get Security Update for Windows XP (KB946648) and Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 6.0 Service Pack 2 (KB973686) installed somehow, but there are still a few more needing to be installed, including the sp3 update.

I can assure you this is a "kosher" copy of XP, as it's the copy that came on the laptop(no offense taken, btw). I don't have any anti-virus running at the moment because I uninstalled AVG as part of the proccess in the malware removal section in these forums and I've only been to this site, microsoft updates, and the Windows Live Onecare site linked me above. My malware scan logs are still pending review in the other section.

24. oneeyejack

oneeyejack Guest

Hi! I have no idea what that is. I will leave you in Davids good hands;)

25. DavidGP

Noooo thats your idea and direction so need to follow up with it?

26. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

This is what Microsoft have on the error code 0x63 ...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100

I would wait until you have be given the all clear from the malware forum before attempting any fixes.

27. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

I found this...

http://www.uvnc.com/features/filetransfer.html

sounds a bit iffy to me, not something i would want on my machine thats for sure.

28. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

As someone who used the same scan just about 24 hours ago when all it found were legit files from Nirsoft, I think that it picked up an UltraVNC file, which may well be a legitimate install. Files like these are often referred to as PUPS (Potentially unwanted programs), if they are knowingly installed as a means to fulfill a task, then they are NOT malware - though if they've been found in a non-standard location, do not show in Add/Remove Programs and have not been knowingly installed, they may have been downloaded as part of a malware payload.

Remote Access Tools (RATS) is the commonly used name for the VNC, TeamViewer, Remote Assistance, etc. type of tool. Some of these are often pre-installed by the big OEM company's - Dell, HP, Toshiba, etc. and by MSFT - malware they are not - but they have the potential to be used for nefarious purposes (as can any version of Windows or any other OS).

29. oneeyejack

oneeyejack Guest

Hi David!! Cut me a little slack here. I'm only trying to help. If I stepped on your toes I'm sorry. This member needs your help not mine!!

30. SnwDvl

SnwDvl Private E-2

I think you may be on to something here. I seem to remember installing something a couple years ago on this machine so that I could access it from my sister's house. Pretty fuzzy on the details, though...

31. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

In that case, you'll need to update or uninstall it anyway, older insecure versions of that type of software will make the PC vulnerable.

32. SnwDvl

SnwDvl Private E-2

Sorry, I should've said in my other post that it had already been removed. I installed and uninstalled alot of things on this computer when I forst got it.
    Thank you for your replies and help.

33. pistol

have you considered doing a "repair re-installation"?..it will leave any personal files or programs you have intact while the repair should fix the OS system files and restore the update functions,it may take a couple or few hours to complete including the updates..might be the easiest way to solve your problem.
    http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/instxprepair1.htm

34. SnwDvl

SnwDvl Private E-2

The CD/DVD drive in this laptop doesn't work, otherwise I would be willing to try anything to get my situation straightened out. Is there any way to do this without having to boot from the repair CD?

35. pistol

you may have to use an external CD/DVD drive to boot from or a USB thumbdrive to upload the CD to,I just noticed that the malware forum is helping you out,if the cleaning doesn't help restore the functions,you'll still have to reinstall Xp using the external hardware,but you want any malware removed first before you try a repair install,the procedure will not remove any existing on the system.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/windows-pocket,1113.html

36. oneeyejack

oneeyejack Guest

It is MHO that you should not be doing any thing that this thread suggests until you are done with the people that are helping you with malware! In every forum that I have been a member, this is a no no. Until Tim releases you, do not respond to this thread. I'm not staff and I'm probably out of line once again. This is my personal opinion and I repeat I'm not staff this is my opinion!!;)

37. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

I need to know what other issues you are having other than not being able to install SP3.

38. SnwDvl

SnwDvl Private E-2

I have been unable to install iTunes, as well as the Quicktime installation that comes with it. I've tried doing the Quicktime install by itself and the iTunes/Quicktime install, both with the same result. I just assumed it was the same problem as the sp3 update problem. As far as I can tell these are the only problems I'm having that aren't hardware related.

39. TimW

Some people never can manage to get SP3 installed. Have you run the Windows installer cleanup?

Go to the link below and scroll down to # 94 on the left-hand side (Windows Installer Fix) and run it. Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it and answer yes to the import prompt.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

40. SnwDvl

SnwDvl Private E-2

Ok, I saved and ran the reg file. Should I attempt to get the sp3 update again, or wait to finish in the malware thread?

41. TimW

You can see if you can now install iTunes. Let's hold off on SP3 for the moment.

42. SnwDvl

SnwDvl Private E-2

Negative on the iTunes install. Tried to do the iTunes and Quicktime installs seperately as well, and both failed.

43. DavidGP

Hi

When they failed to install did they give you any error message at all? (also look in Event Viewer and the System or Application logs for any errors at the exact time-frame of the iTunes or Quicktime installs, if you have any copy and paste them into a notepad file > Save and then attach to one of your next posts as per this HERE

Open up Windows update (if it loads up) and look at the History of updates and what is the date of your last update?

Also look in Add/Remove for KB942288 which is the Windows Installer 4.0 Redist, if you have not got is download from HERE and see if it installs ok, if it does reboot, then try TimW's suggestion of just trying iTunes and QT.

If they then install ok try Windows update again.

Could you also attach a list of your startups and this can be done from CCleaner and its Tools > Startup menu and then click the Save to Text File button in the bottom right corner and then attach as per HOW TO: Attach Items To Your Post

Just would like to see and following on from Satrow's thoughts, if any 3rd party apps could be a suspect.

EDIT: Just reading a bit more on installer issues and I would try this HERE but only after following whats been previously posted first.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  44. SnwDvl

SnwDvl Private E-2

I was unsure of the exact time I tried to do the Apple software install, so I tried to run it again and check the log after. There were some errors reported in the Event Viewer, I'll attach the txt file to this post.

In the windows update history, my last successful update was from yesterday(April 10). There were 4 failed and 2 successful updates. Failed:Windows XP Service Pack 3 (KB936929), Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 SP1 Security Update for Windows 2000 and Windows XP (KB979906), Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 1.0 Service Pack 3 (KB928367), and Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 6.0 Service Pack 2 (KB954459). Successful were: Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 6.0 Service Pack 2 (KB973686) and Security Update for Windows XP (KB946648). I have not run windows update manually in the last few days, however, so I think these were attempts made by the automatic updater.

I tried the iTunes/QT installs again, both the bundled install and the seperate QT install, and they failed again. Also, I ran the FixIt in the mkb article you linked and tried QT again with the same result as before.

Attached Files:

45. SnwDvl

SnwDvl Private E-2

Ok, guys, I have been released from my malware thread by TimW. I followed the instructions in both your links, David, and still I can't get iTunes or QT to install properly. Any more ideas?

46. SnwDvl

SnwDvl Private E-2

Last update, guys. Since this thread apparently died, I have resorted to getting help from (gasp) Microsoft. The tech they put me in touch with had me run a batch file to reset default permissions on all folders and registry keys.
    Thank you for your time, and good day.

47. oneeyejack

oneeyejack Guest

Hi!! So is your problem fixed?? I don't understand why this thread died???:confused
    I hope it didn't have some thing to do with me. If so I'm very sorry.

48. SnwDvl

SnwDvl Private E-2

Hey, jack. No, my problem's not fixed yet, but hopefully will be soon. I'm still in correspondence with the rep from MS, and she is walking me through several things. I think you may have been onto something with your suggestions about the .net framework updates. She's had me uninstall them, again, and re-install them, again.
    I'm almost more concerned with getting iTunes installed at this point, as I haven't been able to update my iPod in over a month!
    Thank you for your inquiry, jack, and your continued attempt at helping me.

49. oneeyejack

oneeyejack Guest

Hi Tony!! Your welcome! I can't help you with I-tunes. I don't know very much period. I just know that after uninstalling net. framworks and reinstalling them, I was able to install the annoying Windows up dates that wouldn't install . Why that happened, I don't know. I have not had any problems sense. I hope you get every thing fixed. Post back with all you did so others will be helped.:wave

50. DavidGP

Hi topic not died, I just need a nudge now and again to remind me of what I have posted in thread wise.

Where are you up to with MS on fixing this, I would imagine the script that they gave you was tailored to your Windows version and was subinACLs mentioned?

Have you managed to update Windows at all with the failing applications and if not what are the error codes now? (if SP3 is failing still, right click and Hide it for now, best to fix this before installing SP3),

Do you have any Mounting applications still installed as in Magic ISO etc, if so uninstall them as they can cause issues or not help fixing any. I would also disable Winpatrol for now as security applications can get in the way.

Did you see if the Windows Installer 4.0 I mentioned earlier was in your Add/remove and or if not install it again.

Run Revo to uninstall iTunes and QT etc then reboot and see if you can install it again, if it fails take a screenshot of the error message/s.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds