Avast Broke Windows 7

Discussion in 'Software' started by Triaxx2, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

Alright guys, I'm in need of some very quick help. I've broken my mother's computer and she's not happy about it.

We had a very severe issue just the other day, and I rolled the computer far back to fix it. Then I installed the free edition of Avast, and it detected a Virus. I followed the protocol, deleted it and told it to go ahead, restart and run a root kit scan. Now windows will NOT start. It brings up Windows is Loading Files, fills a grey bar white, then the bar flashes grey and after four hours, nothing has happpened. HELP! I've tried system restores from a repair disc, but they all have 'unspecified error'.

I'm entirely at a loss as to what to do. If I sound desperate, it's because I AM. :cry

2. Goldenskull

Goldenskull I can't follow the rules

Have you tried too go through F8 and then safe mode too restore.

3. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

No joy, it just goes to the loading files thing and stops. I've tried rapidly pressing and holding the button. Nothing.

4. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I'm not sure how Avast fits in. Maybe doing a chkdsk would allow things to go further than the loading files screen.

From the repair disc it should show your Win 7 drive letter in the box after it searches for problems. Then go to the screen where you found system restore and command prompt should be the last option there. Choose command prompt and use the following command substituting your Win7 drive letter for C:. When that finishes see if it goes further than the loading files screen. A 5 minute wait is the maximum time to expect a change after it says loading files.

chkdsk C: /r

5. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

I'll give that a shot. Avast fits because it asked me to delete a file and then windows didn't work.

6. thisisu

thisisu Malware Consultant

Hi Triaxx,

You should be displeased with the infection you had/have, not Avast.
    Avast was only trying to help ;)

Do you have a flash drive? If so, you can try the below to obtain a FRST log.

[​IMG] For 32-bit (x86) systems download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to a flash drive.
    For 64-bit (x64) systems download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool x64 and save it to a flash drive.

Plug the flashdrive into the infected PC.

Enter System Recovery Options.

To enter System Recovery Options from the Advanced Boot Options:
    • Restart the computer.
    • As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until Advanced Boot Options appears.
    • Use the arrow keys to select the Repair your computer menu item.
    • Choose your language settings, and then click Next.
    • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
    • Select your user account and click Next.

To enter System Recovery Options by using Windows installation disc:

• Insert the installation disc.
    • Restart your computer.
    • If prompted, press any key to start Windows from the installation disc. If your computer is not configured to start from a CD or DVD, check your BIOS settings.
    • Click Repair your computer.
    • Choose your language settings, and then click Next.
    • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
    • Select your user account an click Next.
    On the System Recovery Options menu you will get the following options:
    • Select Command Prompt
    • In the command window type in notepad and press Enter.
    • The notepad opens. Under File menu select Open.
    • Select "Computer" and find your flash drive letter and close the notepad.
    • In the command window type e:\frst.exe (for x64 bit version type e:\frst64) and press Enter
    • Note: Replace letter e with the drive letter of your flash drive.
    • The tool will start to run.
    • When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
    • Press Scan button.
    • It will make a log (FRST.txt) on the flash drive. Please attach this log to your next reply. (How to attach)

7. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

Okay, so I installed Linux for temporary use, and then was able to get that to start it and run chkdsk which fixed the problem. Thanks for the help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds