Bit Torrent files - any safe holding sites??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gabby3457, Jun 17, 2005.

1. gabby3457

gabby3457 Private E-2

Hi all -

Looking for info on any safe Bit Torrent sites to upload files for a client. I do PC training aimed at Seniors, so I usually don't get any tough questions ... but this stuff is too new for me!

I figured out how to make Bit Torrent files, but tried to upload them to a couple of sites and couldn't figure out if they made it onto the list or not! Also, the client's computer got *innundated* with spyware and viruses!!! :eek: :mad:

So ... I'm asking if anyone has info on safe sites to upload to and also the best procedure to upload the files. I wish it was as easy as ftp!! :)

Thanks in advance for any information!!

Gabby3457

2. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

3. gabby3457

gabby3457 Private E-2

Thanks Goldfish!

Actually, the client just has information html files that are already on his website but is paranoid about getting too much traffic to his site once we register it with all of the search engines! He thinks that he'll get charged with too much extra bandwidth and send his web bill sky high -- not likely, but I want to reasure him and make him feel comfortable about registering his site!

Both solutions seem to be ok, but he actually has his site as a subsite of his ISP ... you know, the personal sites that they give you for free. The blogtorrent talks about php pages ... I'm not sure if his ISP (BellSouth) uses php to generate the subsites. His pages are all in regular html (I helped him with Front Page), so I don't think that the blog version will do. I'll check out the beta trackerless version with his stuff and let everyone know how it went!

This is not the typical stuff I have to deal with as a consultant to Senior computer users! :D But, it keeps me on my toes!

Thanks again,

Gabby :cool:

4. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

If its just HTML pages, BitTorrent is a waste of time (IMO). Unless you're expecting a high demand for the pages, perhaps group them together and publish with BT, but in order for BT to work well you need at least a few seeds online all the time, and realistically are you going to have 3 or 4 people willing to share the info 24/7 at a reasonable speed, and will that number ever grow?

Unless there is a ridiculous demand for the pages (e.g. it it got slashdotted (unlikley)), then maybe the ISP would have cause for concern, but most ISPs arn't bothered about traffic.

Oh and BTW; I found a legal torrent site, called (very originally), LegalTorrents:
    http://www.legaltorrents.com/index.htm

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds