Should I upgrade BIOS?

Discussion in 'Software' started by TheFrostyOne, Jul 13, 2004.

1. TheFrostyOne

TheFrostyOne Private E-2

I was wondering if I should upgrade my BIOS? I have a XP. Whats the point of upgrading BIOS? Also where can I find a place to upgrade them.

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

3. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

You should really only upgrade the BIOS if any updates to it pertain to any issues you are having witih the machine or affect its' upgradability.

Typically, updated BIOS's either provide better compatibility, functionality or include bug fixes.
    If your wanting to upgrade the BIOS does not fall within those three categories, then skip it.
    upgrading the BIOS, if done improperly, can hose your system PERMANENTLY!

Your motherboard manufacturer will have updated BIOS's for your specific motherboard model.

[edit.. MA beat me to it]

4. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

Some would tell you if it ain't broke, don't fix it-- if you're having no problems operating with the BIOS revision you have now. Conversely, I solved three separate wireless network connectivity issues on the same day with a firmware update, so there's an argument for having the latest thing out, too.

5. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

Again, you had an issue that needed a resolution. A firmware update fixed it. If you had no issue, then there would not be any need to update.

6. Robster12

Robster12 The Horse Whisperer

You know, when people go to the doctor, to a surgeon, for major surgery,
    and the doctor has them sign the papers that say, "Hey, you know... you may not live through this surgery..."

Well, if you need the surgery bad enough, you'll take the chance.

This is like brain surgery for your computer.
    There are risks......

Just be advised.
    I've done it. It worked to. But, I was DARN sure that I had the right file, that I knew what I was doing.....

AND....

I had my trusty name-brand APC BACKUps online, so that if a power sag hit, my computer would not loose power during the critical time that the BIOS upgrade was taking place.

It is a procedure that is done all over the world every day. But, it is not to be taken lightly.

Ask yourself what your motivation for the flashing is. If there is a good reason,
    Go For It! If not........ I wouldn't :rolleyes:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds