Computer shuts down

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sirius60, Sep 2, 2006.

1. sirius60

sirius60 Private E-2

Hi folks...i'm new to this so be gentle
    Over the last 6 months or so every now and then my computer just turns off, I'm not consistently doing the same thing when it happens. Someone advised checking the fan on the cpu to make sure it wasn't blocked up.
    I've had the side off the computer forever and it is really dusty in there so got the air duster out and gave everything a good blow out...it then started as soon as the computer was stressed been on for a little while and a few progs open so around every 20 mins or so.
    So downloaded Everest and PC Probe to monitor temps.
    The mobo temp was around 30, cpu temp was 50 and the CPU diode was between 72 and 83. While i was monitoring the temps i kept getting alerts for the voltages not just one of them all of them and it seemed that the spikes on the cpu and mobo temps were happening at the same time.
    Anyway off it went again so I decided to take the heatsink and fan off and give it a really good blow out to get rid of any more dust that might be there. I actually blew it threw with the cool air on the hair dryer and i was choking on the dust there was that much. Also the little area covered with the thermal paste looked almost see through so i cleaned that off.....not at all like i've just read you should....and applied some more, but i didn't touch the processor.
    When i put it all back together i covered everything and then blew the air through the power supply and a load of dust came flying out of there too.
    So now the temps are mobo 28, CPU 40, CPU diode 53 which are all much better but i'm still getting alerts from the voltage and occasional spikes in the mobo and cpu temps....touch wood it hasn't turned off yet but whatever it is i want to sort it i don't want the computer going down when i've got work to do and it causes big problems...
    So what r ur thoughts.....cpu....mobo.....power supply? Or something completely different?
    All help very much appreciated :)

2. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

I would guess as dirty as everything was it might be a good idea to blow out the power suppy also, is the fan running on the psu? Might be a failing, or over heating psu. ed

3. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

I reckon ed's onto it, what are the readings from EVEREST for your voltages indicating against what it should be?

Don't leave the side cover off for prolonged periods unless you will clean it out every couple of weeks!

As far as blowing goes personally I use a suction but I have an Earth to ensure no static and are very concious of jumpers etc you can put a sock over the inlet to ensure you don't lose any niggly pieces. Blowing will just force crud into more obscure places and impair a system overtime imho

4. sirius60

sirius60 Private E-2

Thanks peeps.....I did blow out the power supply and that was again unbelievable....i didn't realise how dusty this house is. In the end I decided to go with a new case, which is all up and running nicely now with on more shut downs. And from now on i think i'll leave the side panel on :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds