agp graphics card crashed - is it card or slot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by marpet33, Jul 31, 2008.

1. marpet33

marpet33 Private E-2

I logged on my computer and my geforce fx5500 was no longer working. I had to switch my moniter to my on board card. My question did the agp slot possibly quit working or is the card fried. The fan still works but the computer will no longer recognize the card. I don't want to buy a new agp card if it is possible that something on my mother board quit working. Is there anyway to test the slot or card, I don't have a second computer to test the card. I didn't know if slots themselves could go bad. Should I buy a new agp card or try a pci card, I do have an available pci slot.

2. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

Have you tried deleting the driver for the card then rebooting the PC? This will then reload the driver if it detects the card. You could also take out the card after deleting the driver, make sure the connector isn't corroded or some -such and the slot is clear of fluff etc. Then repace and reboot.

Always try the easy things and the cheapest things first. :)

3. marpet33

marpet33 Private E-2

Yes I unistalled all nividia drivers, pulled the card out. Nothing looked obviously corroded or dirty. When I put the card back in, the computer won't detect it. I tried manually installing and nothing worked. I tried running the nvidia drivers and it tells me it does not detect the hardware. I was leaning towards the card being bad but wasn't sure if the agp slot can go bad.

4. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

does our motherboard require disabling onboard video via a BIOS setting when using an AGP card? If so, perhaps the setting got changed and just needs to be changed back to disabled (with your AGP card installed).

5. marpet33

marpet33 Private E-2

I didn't have to disable it when I originally installed the card. I checked all options in the bios and could not find any video settings. I have a gygabyte mother board.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds