Gateway NX510S Audio Driver

Discussion in 'Software' started by Wanmar, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Wanmar

Wanmar Private E-2

Hey guys,

I had this laptop lying around and decided to practice on it (upgrading it, etc). I changed the harddrive to a 320gb and installed Windows XP Professional. Having done so, I'm now running into this audio issue that has me frustrated enough to ignore finishing this little project for weeks. :-o

Now I want to get this laptop done asap and would like to get the sound working. Here's what I'm running across.

I installed nearly all the drivers this laptop needs (minus card reader). Given that this was all done a few weeks ago, I can't remember if the sound was even working at all. I do know for sure that before I used to hear a series of beeps whenever I clicked on something I wasn't supposed to, whereas now, I don't even get that.

I ran driver genius to see if it would pick up that I needed an audio driver, and it picked up SigmaTel High Definition Audio Codec. I downloaded it, installed it and in the end get this message:

This version of Intel Audio Studio does not support the board detected. For a list of boards supported by the upgrade version of Intel Audio Studio, please refer to http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd. -- I haven't gone there because I'm not sure what I'm supposed to search for there. :confused

I forgot where I saw IDT High Def Audio Codec from (meaning I don't remember which program told me I needed this) but when I installed it, that too gave me an error:

Driver not found! Reboot your system, and run this setup again.

I'm missing something or I'm doing something wrong, just don't know which. Thanks in advance to anyone and everyone that helps me on this.

I have attached my Everest Report below.

Attached Files:

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

If you have not already installed the Intel Chipset drivers then do so as they are needed to allow the OS to pickup and correctly install other drivers such as Audio, the Intel Chipset Drivers for that PC are here

And then this Gateway driver for Audio, as some OEMs customise the drivers so not all the same make drivers for other PCs or found via those driver finders work at times.

3. Wanmar

Wanmar Private E-2

Thanks Halo, for replying.

Frustated as I was, I did a complete reformat and this time I wrote down what I did, that way this time if I decide to go off this "project" for weeks, at least I'll remember what steps I have done.

In doing so, now I remember what I came across.

Installing the chipset drivers first, I got this message:

Cannot copy file: Cannot read from the source file or disk.

When I pressed ok, however on that message, it appeared to have installed anyway (unless one file was missing there) and it got me to the: The Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility is complete. You must restart your computer, etc etc.

I restarted the computer and then attempted to install the sound driver. Restarted at prompt and when the install wizard popped up, I got another error message: This system does not support the driver you are attempting to install.

Any ideas? :confused

4. buggabear

buggabear MajorGeek

Not sure why this is not working, have you tried to uninstall the previous drivers that you mentioned you said you downloaded before SigmaTel High Definition Audio Codec, IDT High Def Audio Codec. Once they are removed give this a try... run this link, ccleaner run the registry portion of it (back up registry first). Now try a fresh install of the drivers that "Halo" posted and see if it works. Other than that we can wait for someone else to come through with a suggestion.

5. Wanmar

Wanmar Private E-2

Thanks, buggabear for responding. Followed your instructions, here's what I did.

- Uninstalled drivers.
    - Ran CCleaner.
    - Reinstalled chipset drivers.
    - Gave me: Cannot copy file: Cannot read from the source file or disk.
    - Clicked ok, it read:
    The Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility is complete.
    The setup program successfully installed Plug and Play components onto the system. Click Finish to exit setup.

- I click finish and I move on to the sound driver.

Sound Driver.
    - Went to exe file, started setup.
    - Installwizard prompts to restart, I restart.
    - After systems starts up, InstallWizard prompts me to continue with installation. I click next, get error:
    This system does not support the driver you are attempting to install.

Back a square one and I still haven't figured it out. Any ideas?

Edit: What I'm trying to do is contact someone through Gateway. But after I put in my serial number, it tells me that Gateway doesn't handle this model and to go to MPC support. which of course, to my luck, isn't going through. Attempting to contact Gateway to see if they can assist me further.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  6. DavidGP

7. Wanmar

Wanmar Private E-2

Sorry for the late reply.

I downloaded the driver you provided from Intel. That worked. When I tried to install the sound driver, and after the restarting and install wizard pops up it still tells me:
    This system does not support the driver you are attempting to install.

Could something be wrong with the sound card? There is only a slight difference now from before. Before when it told me the error, there was no sound with the pop up.This time around I got this really loud beep.

Update with Gateway: It is nearly impossible to get through to an actual person when it comes to calling them. The machine actually tells me it would like to gather more information before patching me through to a rep, which is funny, since they don't accept my s/n.

Test: When I try to play a song, WMP says Cannot play the files because there is a problem with your sound device. There may not be a sound device installed on your computer (which there is), it may be in use by another program, or it may not be functioning properly.

8. DavidGP

9. Wanmar

Wanmar Private E-2

There are yellow markers next to:
    SigmaTel High Defintion Audio CODEC

Going to try that work around you gave me, I will post back with results.

10. Wanmar

Wanmar Private E-2

Detour: I right clicked on Sigmatel and chose update driver. It updated, I restarted, checked again and had a new yellow ! next to
    IDT High Definition Audio CODEC. When I tried to update that, I got:
    THis wizard could not find a better match for your hardware than the software you currently have.

Gonna work on the link you gave me now.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds