Power Supply Failure?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kibble, Sep 29, 2005.

1. Kibble

Kibble Private First Class

Hey guys,

First, this is my setup:
    Athlon XP3200 400mhz CPU
    1gig DDR3200 400mhz
    Radeon 9800 Pro, 128MB
    Asus A7V880 Mobo
    420w stock PS

Recently, my PC took a turn for the worst and crashed as I was playing WoW. I tried to turn it back on, and it wouldn't display anything on my monitor, it just would say "No signal~", and it wouldn't get past POST. I opened the case and it smelt like burnt hardware, and after further inspection realized my CPU had, essentially, burnt itself to death. I filed warranty with AMD and sent it down to Cali, and I bought my new Mobo (the A7V880) while I waited for my CPU to come back.

Now, I got the CPU the other day and installed it into my newer mobo. I tried to boot it up, and I got the same problem I did when my CPU was fried.. Nothing would come up on the monitor, and it wouldn't get past POST (I could tell from the lack of beeps~). Now, the weird thing is how I fixed it... I plugged it into my dads LCD monitor to see if it would work, and lo and behold.. it fired right up. I took it back to my monitor and it worked fine :rolleyes: I don't know how to explain that... but anyway, my computer was working again!

But over the last 24 hours, I've had a multitude of problems. Every once in a while, my computer just locks 100% up, and there is no way of getting around it. This is exactly what happened to me when my computer died the first time, but after a reboot, my computer is good to go again. I'm concerned about the random lockups because I think it might be damaging other computer hardware.

Another thing that is happening is my graphic card is failing. I was playing WoW tonight (Yes, I'm pretty much addicted =/) and about ever 10 minutes my screen would lock up, but after 5 seconds everything would start working again, and a message would pop up warning me about how my VPU has reset itself because it stopped responding... This also concerns me =/

Anyway, my question is... Does this sound like I may have a wiring/power supply problem? I can't think of what else would be causing my system to be so screwy, and I wouldn't doubt that this was the problem. It is just a stock 420w that came with my case. How can I check my connections to be sure they are working properly?

Thanks geeks! :D

--Kibb

2. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

maybe a bad monitor cable?

you can use motherboard monitor to measure your voltage... also try setting everything in the display properties to the lowest it can go, I've had some issues with certain games and turning the right effect off fixed the problem.. but here's a more in depth trouble shooting tips:

http://www.foxpop.com/imre/2005/vpurecover/vpurecover.html

3. luckieblackkat

luckieblackkat Private E-2

I'm afraid I won't be very helpful but let me know if your case is a Raidmax...

4. Kibble

Yah =/ Raidmax, I fergot to mention that.

--Kibb

5. luckieblackkat

luckieblackkat Private E-2

I have a raidmax too :( only its gray/beige not orange.

when i first got all new parts for my pc, when turning the power on for the first time on my raidmax, it was running for about 5 seconds, smelled really bad, then died. had to take it back. got another one. worked for a few weeks, then all of a sudden it just started to turn my computer off completely. after a few times of turning it off then back on it wouldn't start up at all, the light would flicker, that was it. i used a 350w temporarily before getting my ultra 500w ps. its awesome. i recommend just getting a new powersupply and hopefully it will help some and you'll be sure to know its not the powersupply later on if anything happens. i love the cases, but always make sure you have enough to buy a different powersupply...

6. Kibble

Thanks for the help luckie! :D

I'm gunna have to invest in a good PS one of these days anyway, so I might as well do it now before I fry all my expensive hardware =/

Thank you :D

--Kibb

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds