error installing XP

Discussion in 'Software' started by InYearsToCome, Jul 25, 2003.

1. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

I just moved my old IBM 120GB drive to a different computer and am trying to remformat. initially, XP did not recognize the disk was there... So i made sure to delete any partitions using FDISK (did not create a new one, wanted to do NTFS through XP)

XP setup still did not recognize the disk, however 98SE setup did. So i got lazy and installed 98.

now when trying to either upgrade to XP or do a new install of XP through windows, i recieve an error message. After copying setup files and rebooting, windows begins loading the setup screen (with the grey scrolling bar under the XP logo) and gives me a BSOD reading:

STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF9E8463C, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

followed by the standard gibberish about possible virus and whatnot.

after researching this in the Microsoft database, I am still clueless besides acknowleging that the rror refers to an INACCESIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE... somehow. why 98 has no problem but XP continues too..i have no idea.

any clues?

system specs on that system:

FIC AN11 motherboard
    AMD Duron 1ghz (mysteriously running at 1200mhz, though there are no multiplier changes in the BIOS or on board by jumpers, and FSB is limited to 100mhz or 133mhz)
    256MB DDR PC2100
    IBM Deskstar 120GB 7200RPM
    nVidia Geforce4 MX420 <<ewwww
    Linksys LN100TX ethernet adapter

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

Try disabling Virus detection in the BIOS and then installing.

3. Fw190

Fw190 Lt. Anti-Social

make sure you have an 80 conductor cable on the drive.

4. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

Virus detection was disabled, no luck. tried disabling BIOS guardian even.... problem remained

I have used 3 different brand new IDE cables in the drive, and still get the same thing. Windows 98 still loads fine though...?

I am running a thourough ScanDIsk in 98 right now, shold take at least a few hours, just to be sure the drive is uncorrupted.

5. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

after doing that, XP installation stops and claims it "cannot find a hard drive"

i have put together a number of computers, and reformatted many hard drives and NEVER come across this... i'm lost:(

for kicks, i'm gonna take the drive out, plug it into this computer as a slave and make sure everything goes over well... should I maybe try installing the windows Directory onto the drivewhile its in this computer? and then transfer it the other one?...hmm

6. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

I tried Win2000 for curiosity's sake, and it installed just fine.

xp is a stubborn little bugger for some reason... same Stop error code and all.

I may have to stay with 2000, now if only i could get the network configured right...:p

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds