Itunes Songs In mp3 Format?

Discussion in 'Software' started by ANHEDONIC, Sep 21, 2005.

1. ANHEDONIC

ANHEDONIC Will Title For Food

Gah... in past discussions about this I was told that Itunes songs come in a unique format and that it was problematic to burn the files onto CD's... My initial impediment with using Itunes was that I prefer all my songs in mp3 format and want to use WINAMP instead of Itunes player for listening.

Now I'm being told from someone who uses Itunes that the files come in mp3 format. It this true?

2. xeuro

xeuro Private E-2

Well, I'm not exactly sure what format iTunes puts the files in (i'd imagine MP3, but iTunes probably supports more than just that format). But one thing can tell you, it is easy to burn a CD from iTunes.

Step 1) add the music to your library- easy to do, select play in iTunes :)

Step 2) create a new playlist (temporary if u want)- all you got to do for this is look at the bottom left hand corner of the iTunes window, you will see a giant plus sign '+', click it and call the playlist whatever u want.

Step 3) adding the music to your temporary playlist- highlight all the music you want and click and drag the files into that playlist

Step 4) burning the CD- now that you have all your files in the playlist, look at the top right hand corner of iTunes, there should be a circle looking object, (if you hover over it it should say burn files to cd) all you need to do is click that, (click it twice i believe) and what do ya know, ur burning a CD :)

Anyway, hope it helped

3. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

iTunes supports .wma, .mp3 and the new aac encoder, .mp4.
    The mp4 (aac) is the smallest filetype, but you can also use mp3 by clicking Edit > Preferences ? The Advanced tab > Then the Importing tab. Choose which one you would like.

4. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

Songs purchased from the iTunes store are in .aac format. It is comparable in quality to size ratio with wma format. ITunes plays mp3 format files also and I've had no problem burning either to CD. DRM protected aac songs from the iTunes stores can only be burnt onto a CD a few times using the same playlist and only played in iTunes. Any songs you rip using iTunes can be either in aac or mp3 format, whatever you wish, and are saved-DRM free. There is a program called JHymn which will remove the iTunes DRM from purchased songs, allowing you to use them in other players and to burn them to CD as you wish. I'm certain also that Winamp has an aac codec.

5. ANHEDONIC

It's a little confusing for me...

When I buy songs off Itunes, they come in .acc format? Now someone said i can use Itunes to rip them into mp3 format?

Why do certain songs come with DRM protection and not others?

So basically... When I buy songs from Itunes in .acc format, I can convert them to .mp3 format and use them on any media player? And there is a program to remove the DRM protection so that I am not limited in the number of times I can burn it onto a disk....

(If i am missing something here let me know)

6. xeuro

xeuro Private E-2

Sounds bout right

here is a link to JHymn:
    JHymn

and here is a link for DBPowerAMP (will convert AAC to MP3)
    DBPowerAMP

hope that helps :)

7. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

If you have a portable media player that isn't equipped for aac playback, you will need to convert them to mp3 or other formats to play them. If you wish to use them in Winamp, get their aac codec and you can play them (and burn to CD with the plug-in) without converting them.

8. ANHEDONIC

thank you, you guys are being very helpful...

i do'nt use a portable mp3 player... i just use (and love) winamp 5... and i normally burn mp3 CD's to play in my car...

so i would use JHymm first to strip the song of it's DRM projection and then dB Poweramp to convert the .acc file into .mp3 format?

9. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

For your car you would need to convert them, unless you are burning them as standard audio CDs. I've yet to see a car unit that plays aac files. For Winamp, you just need the aac plug-in. Whenever you convert from one lossy format (ex.: aac to mp3) you lose some sound quality. I've never noticed, but some music snobs apparently can.

When you convert them, be sure to set the bitrate same as the original, not higher. That will sound bad to anyone.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds