Generic MP3 Player Problem when connecting to PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dearn, Jul 19, 2004.

1. dearn

dearn Private E-2

Dear ALl,

I hope that this question is releveant and thanks for your time in looking at it.
    I have just bought a cheap generic MP3 player / Voice Recorder from a compnay called FUJIAN. The model number is NE-SSEY and I have 32MB internal memory + SMC card expansion.

I have 2 PCs, 1 running Windows 98 second edition and one running Windows XP with SP 1a.

I installed the software that came with it but when I try to connect I get an error message saying Can not connet to MP3 player. In Windows XP I get a message saying USB device not recognized as soon as I turn the MP3 player on. In Windows 98 when I got to add new hardware I can see the Unkown Device in the list but it says device not working and does a search for a new USB driver but cant find anything.

If you dont know the answer if you could please direct me to somewhere where I might be able to find the answer I would be extremely greatful.

Thanks a million

Richard

2. fleppen

fleppen Gumshoe

Seems to me you will need to try to get newer drivers from the manufacturer's website, if that doesn't help, return it.

3. dearn

dearn Private E-2

thanks for your suggestion but have already looked for this and the only info I can find is in Chinesse. I bought it whilst on holiday so have no way of contactacting the shop where i bought it

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

You didnt get this from Tenerife did you by any chance?

the only instance I have come across that name was in relation to a digital camera ( with the same name and model ref interestingly ) that was purchased in Tenerife and sold as the spanish name for FujiFilm *bullxxxt* and after it was used a few times it died, wouldnt store pics on the media card.

only bit of help I can give you is some searching I did on the net, Fujian is a provence in China which has many different companys pumping out MP3 player etc etc so makes it damm hard to find info on model numbers etc BUT I did find this post on a camera forum... I did think it was about the camera I mentioned above but the poster listed it as an MP3 player

http://www.cameras.co.uk/html/discu...Cameras&Subject=FUJIAN NE-SSEY MP3&Refno=1302

company he references is this one ( maybe have a look down the list of MP3 players thay have and see if one looks like yours ) http://www.tetralink.com/entertainment/imp400.htm site is German BTW.

another to look out for in the cameras is a make called Cannon Mate absolutly nothing to do with Canon, buying abroad is risky sometimes.

one last thing uninstall the software if you have installed, turn off your PC attach the MP3 player and turn it on turn your PC on and hopefully XP ( dont thing this would work with 98 ) will pick it up and assign a mass driver to it like it does with most digital cameras, that way you can access the MP3 player via My Computer.

5. dearn

dearn Private E-2

Thanks a lot for your suggestions and yes I did buy it in Tenerife. Tyr to save a bit of money and of course it doesnt work!
    I have posted a reply to a post on the camera.co.uk to see if i can get a reply with the software.
    I uninstalled the MP3 player and then when I plug it in to XP it says USB Device Not Recognized.

Guess it might end up in the bin then!

thanks for looking

6. DavidGP

did you try it exactly like i said switch off pc plug in and turn on MP3 and boot XP? pluging it in once XP has loaded doesnt always work.

also email the german company as well, cannot hurt and who knows you may get updated software :)

7. dearn

dearn Private E-2

i turned off my pc and connected the mp3 player and turned it on the switched the pc on. I got a New Hardware Device found but then this changed into a message saying USB malfunction error.

8. DavidGP

dammit thought that would work for you guess you may well need the drivers!

do you have all updates from microsoft? a quick visit may help or better still in Device Manager is there either a yellow ! or red X in the list if so double click it and click driver from the top tab > update driver > next and XP will attach to the net and look for any updates and install them ( funny I just tested my Intel USB host controller and got an update BONUS! )

9. dearn

dearn Private E-2

thanks for all your help Halo.
    I went into Device Manager ad in USB i have one that is called Unkown Device. Do you think that would be the mp3 player?

10. DavidGP

in all probability yes... double click it and pick Driver then Update Driver and hopefully it may find a suitable driver for that device, if so great, but I wouldnt put money on it tho.

best bet is if you get a responce from the poster in that thread at the camera forum or you email the same compant he did.

but stranger things have happened in the wonderful world of windows!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds