Squiggly lines on monitor with XP

Discussion in 'Software' started by nanabell1225, Mar 6, 2010.

1. nanabell1225

nanabell1225 Private E-2

Squiggly lines are back! They are faint but noticeable, worse right after reboot. Would like to fix before screen is totally garbled! Do I need a video card? Or what?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Re: windows 7 rc ending

Hi

What was the Windows version you put back on this PC? was it XP or Vista?

Is your PC shutting off like it was before, or just the squiggly lines?

Is your PC a Desktop or Laptop? and have you cleaner out if a Laptop the air vents from dust and fluff and if a Desktop then (with it off) cleaned out any air vents and fans and especially the CPU heatsink and fan and any fan that maybe on the graphic card as this could be related to heat.

3. nanabell1225

nanabell1225 Private E-2

Re: windows 7 rc ending

I use windows xp. It is not shutting off at this time. only Squiggly lines but not as bad as before. I try to clean my desktop on a regular basis so yes it is dusted and fans are working. I was not sue if I should post here or start a new one. Thank you for your prompt response. :confused

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Moved to a new thread to get the ball rolling on your issue now with XP and this, previous link to any info is HERE

Could you post a picture of what the screen looks like, could do a print screen or even take a pic with digital camera if the screenshot doesnt work, how to take a screenshot HERE and how to attach an image HERE

Could you now tell us what model PC you have if say a DELL, HP etc or if a custom build the make and model of graphic card, if you cannot come by these easily then run the blow and attach the log as it maybe a driver issue.

In Device Manager do you have any items with yellow ! marks, if so what are they?

5. nanabell1225

nanabell1225 Private E-2

I did screeshot but I don't think it uploaded; I took a photo and attached. Also sent system onfo. I do not have any yellow marks. I can't tell if the attachment sees what I see, becauce the squiggly lines are still moving onthe photo.. I look at the vertical lines, but the squiggly lines are horizontal... go figure?? I hope the attachments came out, my 1st try.:confused

Attached Files:

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Can you borrow another monitor to try? If the squiggly lines also appear on this monitor then it points to your video card; if they do not appear then it points to a monitor problem.
    You might want to make sure the monitor cables are secure. If something is loose, that can create things on the screen. Also if possible, move the monitor power plug to a different outlet. Sometimes electrical interference or an outlet going bad may cause things on the screen.

7. nanabell1225

nanabell1225 Private E-2

Sorry for slow response. Could not borrow another monitor, so I took my pc for a free check up. I looked at 2 different monitors with my pc and both were clear. Today I got a new monitor and so far so good. Is there a certain way I need to dispose of my old one? Thanks Again Major Geeks for a job well done!!:drool

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds