Sound Control Problem/Missing sys32file/missing DLL

Discussion in 'Software' started by CommanderRandom, Oct 19, 2004.

1. CommanderRandom

CommanderRandom Private E-2

I'm on a laptop running XP home. I do not have actual buttons on the laptop configured to control sound (normally use a small speaker-shaped icon in the system tray to adjust volume). For some reason, yesterday I tried to adjust the volume, and when I clicked the icon a message appeared telling me that no audio devices were detected. The icon totally disappeared, and going into Volume Control (via shortcut) had no effect. I ran SpyBot, a bunch of Norton Scans, and scanned for (and removed) several viruses using Trend Micro's online virus scanner. Now I can adjust the volume again....but I can't figure out how to get the icon to appear in the system tray again for quicker volume adjustment.

And secondly: I removed some spyware that was embedded in my system 32 folder. Now every time at start-up, a window showing the contents of system32 comes up. How do I get it to stop? And (thirdly, I guess), how do I get my computer to stop freaking out that a dll is missing? (error msg at start-up) I'm gonna try replacing the file, but what if that doesn't work?

2. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

Make sure you have the correct updated drivers for your sound device handy, then try uninstalling it in Device Manager and rebooting and it should prompt you for the drivers.

Once they are installed correctly, you should be able to double-click your "Sound and Audio Devices" in Control Panel, and under the Volume Tab, check "Place volume icon in the taskbar".

As far as your system folder opening on startup, this is fairly common with XP, and is usually a Registry screw-up.

HERE is the Micro$$oft solution.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds