Hey everybody, long long time no geek

Discussion in 'Software' started by GEEKWANNAB, Jul 20, 2008.

1. GEEKWANNAB

GEEKWANNAB Private First Class

Well thanks to all of you, my PENTIUM 2 233 MHZ WIN 95 computer is still kickin (knock wood). SO I was finally able to pry open my wallet with a crowbar and get a new machine.

It's a DELL (DUDE I GOT A DELL) CORE 2 6600 QUAD 2.4 GHZ 8 MB CACHE
    3 GB DDRS SDRAM @667 MHZ
    VISTA HOME PREMIUM SP1

I'm still using dial up for now and the new computer is slower than the old machine. I was reading the Major's post on setting up a new machine and I want to make sure I understand the first step.

I should first put in the OPERATING SYSTEM CD and run it. Than I should put in the DRIVERS AND UTILITIES CD and run that. I don't have to reformat the hard drive? Just put in the CD's and run them? (bear with me , I've been using WIN 95 for the last ten years)

I have Mcafee 9.0 with free updates for a month. Would I be better not reloading MCAFEE and using AVAST instead (it's free). That's what I have on the old computer and it works well along with CRAP CLEANER, SPYBOT S&D, SPYWARE GUARD, SPYWARE BLASTER AND HIJACK THIS.

I also see that INTERNET EXPLORER has been bastardized by GOOGLE. Coud this be slowing down the browser? Maybe Microsoft should change the name to GOOGLE EXPLORER.

THANKS, I'm going to have alota questions

2. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

Just Shoot!!!!!:guns
    WE will try to answer your questions.In MJ style.:major

I think?:confused

3. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Are you wanting to reinstall the OS? If you got a Dell, it should be ready to run out of the box. Well, I would delete all the junk programs and stuff Dell puts on them. Here is a program you might want to check out: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download5223.html

Wow. Win95... Been a long time since I used that OS! :-D

E

Last edited: Jul 20, 2008
  4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

IMHO, YES! I walked away from McAfee and Norton years ago and don't miss the slow downs and freeze ups a bit.

5. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

"I'm still using dial up for now and the new computer is slower than the old machine. I was reading the Major's post on setting up a new machine and I want to make sure I understand the first step.
    I also see that INTERNET EXPLORER has been bastardized by GOOGLE. Coud this be slowing down the browser? Maybe Microsoft should change the name to GOOGLE EXPLORER"

Is only browsing slower or is the PC slower ?? Cheers

6. GEEKWANNAB

A sikvik, thanks for the reply, just the browser, for example I have a page on yahoo finance with 200 stock tickers and it loads slower than the old machine. I just thought this machine would be much faster online even with dial up. I was suprised to see that INTERNET EXPLORER has GOOGLE all over it ie: next to the address bar and the search bar.

Anyway I was reading a post by MAJOR ATTITUDE on setting up a new computer(c below)

Check the CD's that came with your computer, there should be a restore CD. If you are lucky, one CD is the operating system and other CD's include programs and drivers. The easiest thing to do here is to reinstall the operating system clean, then use the drivers CD to restore your drivers. You can do this by inserting the operating system restore CD into a drive and reboot. Remain disconnected from the internet during the reinstall. Optionally, you can install programs you want from the program CD last. Now, you should have a lean install without all of the garbage that came preloaded. I have found this to be faster then the alternative, which is to go to add\remove programs and start uninstalling programs. You will be amazed at the speed difference.

SO I thought by doing the above might make the computer faster. Maybe I just need to get dsl or a cable modem and get rid of the dial up.

Thanks again for the reply.

7. GEEKWANNAB

Thanks for the reply plodr, so I should first remove Mcafee from add/remove programs , than download and install AVAST?

8. GEEKWANNAB

Fred_G, THANKS for the reply, I'll check out that program. YES WIN95, I'm probably the only one on the face of the planet still with a computer running that OS except for maybe CHASLANG.

THANKS

9. GEEKWANNAB

Thanks Goran, I need all the help I can getting up on all the new tech.

10. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

Are you sure the Google issue isn't really a Dell issue? Bundling is always an issue.

11. GEEKWANNAB

Hello Bill, I'M not sure of anything. That's why I'm here. What I'm trying to do is make the computer faster and safer. So I downloaded Decrapifier. I'm going to install and run it. Than I'm going to download AVAST and get rid of Mcafee. Then I would like to know what other freeware I should download and install such as CRAP CLEANER , SPYBOT S&D, ECT. I am using dial up so I don't know how much faster I can get with dial up.

THANKS

12. chaimjm

chaimjm Staff Sergeant

get rid of the dail up the new OS's don't work well with it, then the rest of your probs should disapear

13. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

It sounds like Dell has double whammied you with the "google". I bet if you look in add/remove programs you will find "Google Tool Bar" or something to that effect and a total waste of resources imho, I would remove it. Can you post any screenshots of the background processors you have running? Dell used to sell their systems with to much "junk" software and were even accused of selling with pre-loaded "spyware" (as a favour to some company for a financial return), not sure if that is still true today.

14. GEEKWANNAB

Hello! I would if you could tell me how. In PROGRAMS AND FEATURES I see

GOOGLE DESKTOP
    GOOGLE TASKBAR
    GOTO ASSIST 8.0
    EDOCS
    BANCTEC SERVICE AGREEMENT (I don't do online banking)
    NETWAITING
    BROWSER ADDRESS ERROR REDIRECTOR

I don't see anything else that would be optional. Are any of the above a problem or should I leave them?

ALSO I have WINDOWS DEFENDER do I also need

SPYWARE GUARD
    SPYWARE BLASTER
    SPYBOT S&D
    CRAP CLEANER
    HIJACK THIS
    ANY OTHER PROGRAMS TO PROTECT THE COMPUTER?

Would you also recommend AVAST! over Mcafee?

THANKS!!

15. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

I would get all of the lower programs. With the higher programs please do a google search on them and decide if you need them, imho Google Desktop and Google Taskbar are wasted resources, Google Desktop tries to replace the "Windows Search" feature but why I really don't know and google taskbar is a definite resource hog (I set my browser homepage to google or type it in when I need it!!).

I think you should discover more about these apps and then make the decision (I have searched them and some are either a security vulnerability imo or just a waste of space). Looks like Dell has got into bed with "Google" in a big way!!

16. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

17. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Yes IMHO Avast is better than McAfee and its Free over McAfee in a month you will ahve to pay for application and auto definition updates, with Avast these are free ( yes you do have to register to get licence key but they DO not spam you ) I use and really like Avast.

I would loose Google Desktop and Taskbar ( toolbar ) but also if its google thats taken over the inbuilt search in IE7 Vista at the top right side of screen, then you can chaneg this to one of your own favs, Click the down triangle next to the magnify glass and Choose "find more providers"

[​IMG]

18. GEEKWANNAB

Hello everybody! Halo, sikvic, and Bold Eagle thanks for your recent post's. My wife want's to go online with the new computer, but I won't let her until it's been geeked and tweaked at MG's.

Just one more question before I get started. Can I remove Mcafee using ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS or will I need a utility program to remove it completly?

Thanks again

19. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

Use Add/Remove and then Use CCleaner to remove registry leftovers Cheers....

20. GEEKWANNAB

Thanks sikvik, with Vista which version of Crap Cleaner should I download?

21. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

I hope you have downloaded the Avast or Avira installer and saved to desk top. Then Uninstall Mcafee disconnect from the net run new AV installer connect to net and update AV.

22. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Use this to be sure:

McAfee Consumer Product Removal Tool 2.0.145.2

Some of these programs can be a pain in the butt to remove. After running that then run CCleaner and click on the "Registry" tab>>>>Scan for Issues>>>>save your current settings (I have a folder called Registry Backups) and then remove all.

23. GEEKWANNAB

I downloaded setupeng and save it to a folder I created under downloads

24. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

25. GEEKWANNAB

26. GEEKWANNAB

Thanks again sikvik!

27. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

28. GEEKWANNAB

Thanks yet again sikvik. I'm going to get started. I'll be back tomorrow or Friday and let you know how I made out.

29. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Here we go a Vista summary on removal:

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=107083&lc=1033

But I would firstly disconnect from the internet, right click on the Mcaffee icon (bottom right hand corner) and disable, stop all services etc. Then use Process Explorer 11.20 to see if there are any Mcaffee processors running (kill them if there are) and then follow their removal procedure. Hope this works.

Personally I find it appalling that Dell load a "free trial" application that is difficult to remove and resource hungry.

30. GEEKWANNAB

I know, everyone wants a slice or your wallet. Thanks again, I'm going to get it done.

31. GEEKWANNAB

Hello everybody! I was running late today and I didn't get around to removing Mcafee and installing spyware stuff. I did remove GOOGLE TASKBAR AND GOOGLE DESKTOP and you wouldn't beleive how much faster pages load up now! Like night and day. Just want to say thanks again for everyone's help. I'll be back over the weekend and let you now how I made out with Mcafee and the rest.
    Can't keep my eye's open much longer going to bed.

GOODNIGHT ALL

32. GEEKWANNAB

Hello everybody, hope you had a good weekend. I removed Mcafee. that seemed to go well. I installed, registered and updated AVAST, CRAP CLEANER,HIJACK THIS, SPYWARE BLASTER, AND SPYBOT S&D.

The only problem I ran into was with SPYBOT. Got an error message during installation.

Unable to execute file
    C:\spybot-search&destroy\SDWINSEC.EXE
    Create process failed code 740
    The requested operation failed requires elevation.

What do I do now??

Thanks

33. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

When you ran the installer did Vista ask for permission/elevation. Are you running as Admin.
    You could shut down User Access control (UAC) and try to install. But wait for some other advice from MG. This is surprising as you have already installed other APPS..

Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
  34. oma

oma MajorGeek

35. GEEKWANNAB

Hey sikvik, I was just thinking that. When I installed it, I just doubled clicked the file instead of right clicking and running as admin. OMA's post confirmed this(thanks oma). Old WIN95 habits die hard. I'm going to uninstall and reinstall right now.
    THANKS AGAIN!

36. GEEKWANNAB

This time around, I will do the same. THANKS!

37. GEEKWANNAB

Almost forgot are all the spybot DOWNLOAD UPDATES sites safe or is there a preferred dowload site??

38. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

39. GEEKWANNAB

40. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

I don't understand. Are you downloading or updating, the link provided lets you choose from
    MG FL, TX or Internode AUS use any site of yor choice..

41. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

I just choose any mirror for the updating process and haven't had any negative experiences in 4 years.......damn what was that..........huh......windows crashing......data being deleted.....rofl!

It has been all good.

42. GEEKWANNAB

Good one Bold Eagle, sikvik I was asking when you click the update tab on the spybot window (ie: when you have spybot opened on your desktop) a list of download sites comes up and asks you to choose one. Like when you download a program off this site you have a list of download sites such as Texas or Florida ect.

Anyway when I tried to reinstall spybot I got another error

FILE CORRUPTED OR MAY CONTAIN VIRUSES

so I uninstalled again and deleted that file and will have to download it again.

If everything had gone smoothly it wouldn't be my life. Not a big deal(Ihope)

43. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Have a look in Task Manager or Process Explorer and make sure there are no components of Spybot running (there shouldn't be if you didn't install tea-timer). I would DL a fresh copy again, run CCleaner on the Registry and give that a scrub before trying a fresh install.

44. GEEKWANNAB

I ran process explorer and did not see any spybot processes running. I did install it with Tea Timer the first time around. I'll run a registry scan before reinstalling. I'll post the results before clicking the fix issues button. I don't want to give myself anymore problems.

45. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

Just to add, lot of people opt out Tea Timer as has oma in his post. I can't elucidate as I don't use SB S&D.

46. PC-XT

PC-XT Master Sergeant

I still use Win95, dial-up, and actually even DOS 3.3! (I'm probably about the only one back that far, lol) The old stuff still works as good as it used to. I do use at least Win98 on the Internet anymore, though.

Happy computing! :)

BTW, I opted out of TeaTimer also.

47. GEEKWANNAB

THAT'S 3 WIN95 machines still out there . Bet there's more lurking around.

48. GEEKWANNAB

OK so I downloade a new copy , scanned it for viruses, checked for spybot processes running, and ran crap cleaner on the reg. These are the issues.

Missing Shared DLL C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\vsavb7rt.dll HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls
    Missing Shared DLL C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\system.enterpriseservices.dll HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls
    Missing Shared DLL C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\mscorrc.dll HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls
    Missing Shared DLL C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\mscordbi.dll HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls
    Missing Shared DLL C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\mscorsec.dll HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls
    Missing Shared DLL C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\system.configuration.install.dll HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls
    Missing Shared DLL C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\microsoft.vsa.vb.codedomprocessor.dll HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls
    Missing Shared DLL C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\wminet_utils.dll HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls
    Missing Shared DLL C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\microsoft.jscript.dll HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls
    Missing Shared DLL C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\diasymreader.dll HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls
    Missing Shared DLL C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\iehost.dll HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls
    Missing Shared DLL C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\system.data.dll HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls
    Unused File Extension .eta - Google Earth.etafile HKCR\.eta
    Unused File Extension .kml - Google Earth.kmlfile HKCR\.kml
    Unused File Extension .kmz - Google Earth.kmzfile HKCR\.kmz
    Unused File Extension DDECache HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\DDECache
    Unused File Extension OpenWithList HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\OpenWithList
    Invalid Default Icon C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Acrobat\AcroRd32.exe HKCR\acrobat\DefaultIcon
    Invalid Default Icon "C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe",0 HKCR\GoogleGadget\DefaultIcon
    Open with Application Issue "C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe" /display /load "%1" HKCR\GoogleGadget\shell\open
    Invalid Default Icon "C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe",0 HKCR\GoogleGadgetContainer\DefaultIcon
    Open with Application Issue "C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe" /display /load "%1" HKCR\GoogleGadgetContainer\shell\open
    Invalid Default Icon "C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe",0 HKCR\GoogleGadgetManifest\DefaultIcon
    Open with Application Issue "C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe" /display /load "%1" HKCR\GoogleGadgetManifest\shell\open
    ActiveX/COM Issue LocalServer32\"c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1user.exe" HKCR\CLSID\{442E3CEB-D71B-11DA-8750-001185653D78}
    Open with Application Issue Applications\moviemk.exe\shell HKCR\Applications\moviemk.exe
    Help File Issue %SystemRoot%\IME\IMETC10\HELP\IMTCTC.CHM HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\HTML Help
    Help File Issue %SystemRoot%\IME\IMETC10\HELP\IMTCEN.CHM HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\HTML Help
    Installer Reference Issue C:\Program Files\Intel\ProSafe HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Folders
    Obsolete software key Safer Networking Limited HKCU\Software\Safer Networking Limited
    Obsolete software key VB and VBA Program Settings HKCU\Software\VB and VBA Program Settings

Is it safe to click fix issues for all of these??

49. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

Don't see any left overs of SB. So you could leave these issues or fix them and back up changes. I use CC registry cleaner all the time and have had no issues with any of the fixes. Now I've stopped backing up as I trust this App !!! I Don't suggest you do that though :)

50. GEEKWANNAB

OK, so how do I make a backup for these before I fix them.

Thanks

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds