Intro And Challenge For Old Pc

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by senkosam, Dec 26, 2006.

1. senkosam

senkosam Private E-2

I recently upgraded to a new pc but still have an attachment to the old 5220 Compaq with all it's peripherals and for the need of a pc my grandkids can play on when visiting.

Last week I noticed that I couldn't change display settings (256 color and large icon display) and tried doing a factory restore. No go. I then did what worked a few years ago - a clean install starting with a boot floppy to the Quick Restore cd- but a message came up stating there was no cd rom driver.

The customer support (50 bucks for 45 minutes) was useless and the boot disc (floppy) would bring up the QR screen from the cd, but stopped there with a bad command message.

I formatted and partitioned in hopes that the QR disk would be read and windows 98 installed, but being that it failed,what are my options?

Is there a way to get the QR cd to work or ...

Would a newhard drive read the QR disk on boot and everything work fine with Compaq's proprietary system?

Good thing I burned most of my important stuff on to a cd before this machine crashed. (Strange thing is that the keyboard would shut off ever so often.)

2. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

Welcome to MG.

I would suspect that your QR disk contained an image of the HD as the PC was when new. But it may well have contain a program to pull of the Windows files from a hidden partition on the Hard Disk.

Having now partitioned the HD and formatted it you would need a boot disk for Windows 98 which as drivers to allow CD support. Then you could try the QR CD again by typing Setup or something similar (without knowing what is on the CD I can't be more specific).

You should also try booting up with the CD in the PC if you haven't tried that already.

3. Bladesofhalo

Bladesofhalo MajorGeek

Welcome to MajorGeeks :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds