Sortage of Wii's?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ItsWendy, Dec 3, 2007.

1. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

2. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

It's ridiculous. It's been like that for a long time, not just now. I got my kids one for christmas about 2-3 months ago. Went into the game store thinking I had plenty of time and they guy told me they didn't have any but would be getting a shipment in the next day and to call. I call, they did get them, but I had to run in right then because they had gotten all of 3 of them.rolleyes

My daughter wants Guitar Hero 3 for it. Just like the wii, you can get it for all the other platforms but wii. I refuse to pay double the price the price for it on ebay.

3. British TV Nut

British TV Nut Corporal

I know I would like to have a Wii sometime, but with the supply not keeping up with the demand it putting a hurt on me. Then again I usually wait until the initial craze is over anyway. Give it time is all I say, but then Nintendo should have stepped up production over the past year. It's just a shame.

Besides heavily advertising the Wii on TV might be an interesting strategy since the more people that see the commercial the more they want the system. I wonder how many people are giving up on it and just not worry about playing any sort of gaming system now.

4. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

As for stepping up production, at last report, they're turning out 1.8 million Wii's a month. Fils-Aime explained they'd normally start stocking up around august, but this year they spent the summer without any inventory in the warehouses.

5. winstainforth

winstainforth Private E-2

In the UK, a Wii can now cost $800. If you can got hold of one that is.

6. LauraR

I scored a Guitar Hero III for it for my daughter.:) Was in Target and happened to look and they had gotten a shipment in that day.

7. blackazndude

blackazndude Private E-2

hahhahahaha the target near my house about 6 months ago had like 10 wiis in stock for a long time. you guys should think about using craigslist. its only about 250. i even tried selling mine about 6 months back for 275 but no one bought it. brand new just out of box. but now i got zelda splintercell and mario. pretty fun.

8. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

you guys need to come to Belgium we went to Toys R Us yesterday and they had 5 units sitting on the shelf

Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  9. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

A lot of it, is to drive demand hire. The more demand, the more the manufacturer can throttle the supply to the end-user.

10. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

Somehow, after years of experience with Nintendo, I find that very hard to believe. A more recent interview states that it takes five months from the time they decide to increase production, to the time the increase starts. The reasoning given is that Nintendo does not manufacture it's own consoles, but hires other companies to do it for them.

11. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Funny, my years of experience with Nintendo (have every major console since the original) don't have that effect.

Nintendo is the only one of the three major consoles making a profit on the sale of their hardware, so they COULD be more competitive price-wise, if the supply-demand ratio didn't justify keeping prices where they are.

Not saying that this is definitely the case, they could make less profit per console if they increased the volume of sales, but it would not be the first time that supply and demand is artificially controlled.

Nintendo is a business like any other. The sales figures on the Gamecube might be a good reason for Nintendo to get squirrely on the business end of things, this generation.

</speculation>

tbh, I didn't find getting a Wii all that difficult. I went to 2 stores before I found one. Didn't have to go out of my way to do it, either.

12. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

Yeah, I couldn't find one for 2 weeks before Christmas (anyone check the date lately), so I got my boy a game and an IOU and got it a couple of days after last year.

13. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

I got lucky and litterally walked into mine. Nintendo might be controlling the sales, but I'm not going to put money on it. They've built a reputation of making systems that people just have to have. The DS has sold millions worldwide, and it took them quite some time to get production ramped up high enough to meet demand.

They are doing it right, by not hyper ramping production, because they simply will not sell as many Wii's as they did DS's. Why? Because the DS is a one person per unit item. The Wii is capable of four players, and so one unit can be used by several people at a time.

14. theefool

theefool Geekified

This drives me nuts. I have a ps3 and an xbox360. At first I didn't care for a wii. But, since the hype is going into ludicrous speed. I must have one. I'll wait till next year.

A friend of mine, won one on a radio contest.

I recently went to a vendor luncheon. 20 people were there. The guy who complained a bit about the software the vendor was talking about, won a wii.

Must get wii.....and probably never use it.

15. StealthArcher

StealthArcher Private E-2

Probably will never get one. The technology has been done before, by nintendo of all people, claiming it as new is a lie.

16. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

Well, they're in abundance, even in the 2nd hand stores, here.:cool

17. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

Stealth Archer: What do you mean it's been done before?

18. LauraR

I know what he means...you should have seen me jumping up and down when Mario would fall off the cliff in the last level.:D

All I know is we got one for my kids for Christmas and I can wait to try it out. You Can get them. You just need to check the stores once in a while by calling. They've been getting shipments in here.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2007
  19. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

Or jerking the controller to make Mega Man clear the pit.

20. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds