Internet World

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Fred_G, Aug 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

2. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I have seen the video you are talking about. Does seem to point towards a good shoot.

Crazyness going on there, they are firing tear gas ans such into the crowds...

Miss old Walter.

3. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

This is getting ugly.

4. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Why are they showing livestream of that?

I blame the 24/7 on OJ. I don't remember having it before him.

Anyway, it's all over the news and I have no desire to watch livestream of it. I'm pretty sure regardless of fault that rioting and looting is not a productive way to protest anything.

5. LauraR

I know your opinion on stuff like this since you've stated it numerous times in another thread that got locked.

I'm going on the assumption that your quote above was your opinion and not joking or facetious. There are differing views on this whole topic in general and I would assume with the volatile nature of this specific incident there are very strong opinions as well.

Making remarks like the one above is not going to go well if past threads are any indication, so take this as a warning and do not continue down this path with this topic.

Thanks in advance to everyone who keeps this thread civil. Because of the nature of it, any indication that it is going any other direction ...I'll close it.

6. LauraR

And so could yours.

Mine was directed to that specific comment and in general. Hence the warning in the thread to everyone.

7. LauraR

Any indication that this thread is going not civil, it will be closed. The topic is extremely HBT.

So keeping it open is up to anyone who wants to contribute the discussion.

8. tjet

tjet Supersonic Majorgeek

I'm not anti law enforcement by any means - my grandfather and uncle wore badges for many years.
    But my problem is I've seen it done properly and have a low opinion of this viewing citizens as enemy combatants.
    If that cop couldn't have dealt with the situation with a night stick or mace I do indeed view him as trigger happy.
    Low skills and poor training are no excuse to deploy military vehicles and weapons against unarmed people.
    And threatening reporters at gunpoint seems to indicate they know they are in the wrong and don't want a video record of misdeeds.
    I'm simply saying is this country the democracy everyone brags on or a third world banana republic?

9. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Everyone is youtube happy these days. Any infraction of rules will be posted to Youtube. The cops don't have a chance these days. Everyone is watching. But no one allows for them to be human and have human emotions.

10. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

Let me preface this with the fact I realize the police are not always in the right.

I get a lot of small arms training in my work. We can be deployed anywhere in the world so there is a slight chance we will see combat. I served in Viet Nam.
    What the average citizen sees in video footage is not what the trained combatant sees.

There is one training situation I hate to test with. You sneak to a barracade to confront a man with a shot gun and three hostages on the floor in front of him. You order him to set the gun down and he bends forward to set the shotgun down. His other hand either hangs down or goes behind him for his backup piece, depending on the test. You have literally one second to either shoot him or not. Such a small clue. If he has no backup piece but puts his hand behind his back you just shot a man doing as you said.

Think long and hard on this scenario. Putting a hand in a pocket or behind the back seems normal to the untrained.
    Police hate videos because what they see is not what others see.
    It is a pretty bad reporter that ruins the night vision of the police during a confrontation.

11. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Never point a gun at something you do not want to destroy...

I suspect the cops are stressed, I mean, almost a week of nightly riots and such, but no need to point a gun at the cameraman. Hopefully they will talk to the supervisor and the cop will get some training.

Many fairly new shooters will muzzle people a lot. They seem a bit surprised at the instant correction, that increases each additional time they do it until they are asked to leave.

Anyway the live feed showed a lot more of the crowd before they moved back behind the police. There were a LOT of people there.

12. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Representative Republic. ;)

13. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Not going far with this one. But Musky, if we only had a black DOJ. or black President... Nope, black folks have no chance. ;)

14. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Musksnipe, check your PM's if you want to discuss more, will send you my email. Majorgeeks don't like controversy. ;)

15. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Folks I'm out of the USA so do not know the level of feeling towards this topic BUT its not one that will be conducive to harmony on Majorgeeks, so will respectively close it.

I'm not insensitive to the topic as I have opinions on both sides of the argument, can take them up with me in PM or email and those that are long standing members will know my email address (others well not been here long enough sadly for me to know you).

Folks Closing this as I can see two sides and non is right, there are facts to a pro and con to what happened.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds