Fastest and slowest states

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by LauraR, Aug 21, 2014.

1. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

On the roads for all you perverts. :-D

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2014/08/21/fastest-slowest-states/14386951/

So 40 years ago in the US, President Nixon mandated that the speed limit should be no more than 55 mph (approx 88kph). About 20 years ago, that law was repealed and about 2/3 of the states have raised the speed limit significantly.

I'm in Pennsylvania and we have been at 65mph (104kph) for a while now. They are going to be raising it to 70mph which I think is great!

The average rate in PA is 70mph according to that map on the link.

I think in the UK, you all have faster speeds than us.

How fast do you like to go? Me?...as fast as I can. LOL

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Guess we need to change your title to Ms. Lead foot!! :-D​

3. LauraR

Ha! That would be very accurate. I love driving fast. I miss my mustang.

4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Speed limit here is 70mph. Which is fast enough since people are putting on makeup, reading the paper and talking on their phones.

5. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

Our speed limit is 70mph, and when I drove I would set the cruise for the width of the gauge needle under 80mph...so about 78ish I'd guess. Seemed to be about the middle of the pack for the most part, and since I would regularly pass cops I assume it's acceptable. LOL

6. LauraR

Haha...most likely they have faster fish to fry. :-D

I kind of figure the same for the cruise control. What's generally the speed above which you don't get stopped? I thought it was 5 mph.

7. Anon-9aee479f8f

Anon-9aee479f8f Anonymized

Speed limit is 70 mph on Interstates here but if you stay around 70 mph everyone else will pass you by. On two lane roads it is 55 mph but most people(me) go 60-62 mph. In the city limits I know people who have been ticketed for going 5 mph over what the street speed limit is.

8. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

There is a new toll road between in Texas running between Austin and San Antonio that has a speed limit of 85 (eighty-five) MPH.

9. LauraR

That sounds like about what it is here as well.

The amount above pretty much varies by road here I guess. I tend to do the 5mph in more conservative areas.

Nice. I'm assuming they are pretty straight and not very crowded.

10. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

One seldom thought about consequence of the 55 mph speed limit was cost cutting on freeways. A 100 MPH spec freeway costs a LOT more to build than a 55 MPH freeway. View distance (less curves and elevation changes), on and off ramp length and freeway strength are drastically reduced with a 55 MPH spec. Now we want to speed back up but we will damage the pavement, damage our vehicles and have more wrecks.

One of the safest freeways around is south of LA which was designed for a future 100 MPH limit. 80 MPH on that freeway is a relaxing cruise. Up north through Oakland is a freeway that followed the old two lane 45 MPH from the 40's. 80 MPH through there is dangerous to insane depending on the traffic.

Hopefully people will realize this if we get a 75 mph state speed limit. Some freeways were never intended for that speed.

11. LauraR

You bring up some good points as far as wear and tear as faster speeds. Although, without knowing anything about it, I can't imagine on a highway with no stopping (such as the PA turnpike that we drive on), the wear and tear would be any different. Again, I don't know anything about it, but I'd think that would come from stopping and starting.

While speed limits have been 55 in a lot of places for a long time up until recently, you would be hard pressed to do so and drive safely since most people do drive well above that....unless you are on a congested road.

12. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

I wonder if that has anything to do with our freeways and other roads being in a constant state of repair. Not that it's much of an increase, though... people have been saying since well before my birth that Michigan has two seasons: winter and road construction.

13. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

Road construction is a very technical subject. I will try not to be a "road geek".
    Turning, stopping and acceleration are forces in a horizontal plane. Generally only the top few inches get stress from this.
    Weather, ground water, shifting soil, soil compaction, varying loads (one car at 80 vs 500 stopped trucks at full load) and thermal expansion are the larger part of the equation.
    This may help explain:
    http://www.texasfreeway.com/Dallas/newsflash/loop9_soil_conditions.shtml
    One local freeway was supposed to go down 28 - 30 ft and replace the dirt with crushed granite and binders for a 75 MPH speed spec. That was reduced to 15-16 ft when the speed spec was reduced to 55 MPH. We now have cracks and waves in the previously glass smooth freeway because it has insufficient support.

14. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

OK, gotta go geek on ya.
    http://www.highwaysmaintenance.com/design.htm

Speed has a vertical loading component because suspension does not put 100% equal loading across the surface. A bump you cannot see or feel at 50 MPH becomes a large force at 100 MPH. Ask any racer.

15. LauraR

I get the gist of all that. Sounds like there will be a lot of cost down the road (pun intended LOL), but I don't think we can stop the increases in speed. 55 on highways is horribly slow.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds