My baby turns 18 tomorrow

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by LauraR, Aug 22, 2014.

1. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

I feel so old! :cry

Not really. I kind of don't feel that much older than I did when I was her age. Okay, well, that's not true, but I don't feel like I'm going to be 50 in just 3 years.

Time has gone crazy fast and we are doing the whole college search and application thing.

Tonight we are going to take her out to a nice dinner at a place called the Continental in Philadelphia because she has plans with friends tomorrow for her actual birthday and apparently they are more fun than us. LOL

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

You feel old????? My little one turns 27 this Oct. She is planning on going to Africa for a year. And at 18, you will never be as much fun as her friends.

3. LauraR

Yikes! I can't even imagine the day when mine is talking about going away for a year on her own!

So of course I'm looking at the drink menu at this place tonight. :-D They've got some great names for some of them. I'm thinking I'll be able to find something yummy:

Twizzle
    . 9/45
    Smirnoff citrus,
    strawberry, lemon

Hawaii 5-O. 9/45
    Smirnoff vanilla,
    pineapple, lime

Mid-town Mocha. 9/45
    espresso liqueur, Stoli,
    chocolate milk

Sourpuss. 10/50
    Smirnoff, St. Germain,
    champagne

Wild Child. 13/65
    Ciroc red berry, wildberry
    cordial, lemon, cranberry

The Socialite. 10
    Tito’s, blueberry, fresh lime,
    champagne

Pomargarita. 10/50
    Sauza silver, pomegranate
    cordial, lime

Shanghai . 10/50
    Bacardi O, St. Germain,
    green tea

Perfect Pear. 11
    Grey Goose la poire,
    St. Germain, lemon, soda

Melon Drop . 9/45
    Bacardi watermelon rum,
    fresh lemon, cranberry

Champagne-O-Rama. 10
    Smirnoff raspberry, champagne,
    grenadine-sugar rim

Mexico City Cosmo . 11/55
    Cuervo Gold, Grand
    Marnier, cranberry, lime

Violet Beauregarde. 10/50
    blueberry vodka,
    crème de violette, lemon

Wink. 11/55
    Absolut ruby red, Combier,
    cranberry

Açai Pirinha . 11
    Veev açai, fresh lime

The Astronaut. 9/45
    Peachka vodka, tang

Capri Cooler . 11
    the adult version of your
    favorite lunch treat. Even
    served in a pouch with
    Absolut Cherry Cran

Dirty Shirley . 10
    Grey Goose cherry noir,
    sprite, grenadine

Ecto-One . 9/45
    melon liqueur, Bacardi O,
    sour, club

Good Lei . 9
    a better version of that fruit
    punch you drank as a kid

Old Fashioned. 13
    Maker’s Mark,
    home-cured cherries

Last Word. 13
    Hendrick’s, chartreuse,
    marashino, lime

Two Islands. 11
    Tullamore Dew, Pimm’s,
    ginger beer

Moscow Mule. 11
    Ketel One, lime, housemade
    ginger beer

Aviation . 12
    Tanqueray 10, Luxardo
    maraschino liqueur,
    crème de violette, fresh
    lemon

Pimm’s Cup. 10
    Pimm’s no. 1 cup, lime,
    sparkling wine, cucumber

Negroni. 13
    Bombay Sapphire, Campari,
    sweet vermouth

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  4. TimW

Ummm........one of each?? :-D

5. LauraR

Well, I can cross anything with Gin in it off my list. I drank a little too much of that one night in college. LOL

6. TimW

If I based it on that, I wouldn't drink at all. :-D

7. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Aww, little one leaving. Stay away from the well drinks, if you want one, get a premium.

Joking aside, congrats on rearing a great kid, just judging you from your posts here. :-D

Of course, with the kid gone... When the cat is away the mice play... :-D

8. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

The older we get the faster time flies :-D

I hope you have a lovely meal when you go out. That drink list, all those flavours! Damn, bet you won't know what to choose. :-D

9. hitest

hitest Staff Sergeant

Enjoy your dinner and drinks, LauraR! Your daughter has a bright future ahead of her. :)
    My number one girl turned 20 a few months ago and she is still finding herself.

10. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

Yep, my son is already 27, and I was Married seven years before we had him! My Daughter turned eighteen last year, (nineteen, now). And she was born eight years after him. Yeah, The Ghost works slooow!...0_o. Ha!, ha!

Laura, (50-3 aint old, (lol!)), that's my g/f's age, heh!, heh!, (I'm old, but I aint stupid!:p)

Wait 'till your 10 years away from Old Age Pension, then you'll feel old(ish). It's all cool, I don't feel a day over 95 0_o).

I used to drink Gin & Tonic all the time - now it just sits in the Bar, gathering dust like the rest of them.
    I hope that you'll all have a blast, Laura. Grandparent-hood will be next - har!;).

11. joffa

joffa Major Geek's Official Birthday Announcer

I think it is great if your kid turns 18 has a chosen career path and doesn't have a police record ;)
    Sounds like you are doing it right Laura and college will be a big adventure for your daughter :cool
    I am quite old at 59 and started the family thing fairly late. My 23 year old son is still at University studying Network Engineering and my 20 year old daughter who is now a qualified hairdresser just came back from 6 weeks touring Europe :) Yep I sometimes get that old feeling too but my kids still keep me feeling young ;):-D

Enjoy your dinner and remember this milestone birthday so get some nice photos ;) :celebrate

12. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Know how you feel Laura as my nieces are tuning into the teen era!

Happy Birthday to your daughter and I wish her well in life and work, if she is anything like mom she will turn out to be a goodun!

13. LauraR

Ha! Well, sometimes you just have to pick the worst of the bunch. But damn that was a bad night! roflmao

Kid isn't gone just yet, E. We've got one more year of high school and then 4 of college and then who knows after that. LOL

Omg...so speaking of no well drinks. You can see the prices on the drinks I copied from the menu. They aren't cheap, but actually not bad for Philly prices. So, I order something not on the menu...Margarita made with Patron. Holy shit...we get the bill...$17!!!! :eek I'm glad I only had one and switched to beer!

Ain't that the truth, Em. :-D

It was a great meal. I didn't get one of those drinks after all, but my hubby got the Hawaii 5-0 LOL

Thanks hitest!:) Mine has no idea on what she wants to do. She has another year of high school, so has some time. The only thing she knows is she wants to go to college. From there it's a mystery.

Thanks Barry! :)

haha on the g/f! roflmao Good for you!

And please do not mention the G word anymore! :p

Yeah, well no career path has been chosen here. I have no doubt it will all work out for her though. She's a really good kid (oops, technically an adult now).

Yikes....teen girls are evil, Dave! LOL

Thanks everyone! We had a great dinner last night. We ordered tons of small plate items and shared everything...including Octopus. :eek

Today is the actual birthday and I'm sure she has lots of plans. I know she is going to a friend's house for a party there for her.

We are really lucky. She really is a wonderful kid. Sweet, sensitive, smart.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  14. DavidGP

Sound like she is on the road to success, just need a bit of ruthlessness in there as well, to fend off the idiots in life. Hope she has a great evening :) PARTY ON!!!

I guess that you both raised your kids like you are in life, good honest folk that do well for others and work hard... traits that are really the cornerstone of society.

15. LauraR

She can be tough as nails when she has to be and doesn't suffer idiots well. :) Both of my girls have a low tolerance for bs and drama.

And I hope so on that last part, Dave. We try. Its really hard now days with all the internet/social media stuff. You just hope you instilled enough in them to make the right decisions.

16. DavidGP

GOOD STUFF for the girls.... need the mix in life to be great humanitarian but tough in some respects.

Sounds like you have done all you both can Laura to instil morals and good humanity to the girls and yeah social media is a plague in reality these days but if you take it with a pinch of salt then you are a better person.

I don't like social media now, not as it used to be, trolls ahoy... LinkedIn is my main social media outlet now.

17. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

My solution is simple. I have no friends, therefore no social life. Thus need no social media. ....It's lonely being a Ghost!....roflmao rolleyes

[​IMG]

18. LauraR

At least they are funny cute 'friends'! LOL

Thanks Don. :)

I just ordered a regular run of the mill $17 margarita. :eek (Patron tequila...and I had no idea it would cost that much). My husband got the Hawaii 5-0 which was vanilla vodka, pineapple and lime.

19. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

Happy birthday, to the daughter. :)
    I recall when you posted the sweet sixteenth birthday, thread. ;)
    Yep, college is a biggie. So is she applying close by?

My brat is sixteen and has decided to pursue her college education in the US!
    That's 15hrs flying time..... I think I get chest pains just thinking about it. :-D
    Wonder what I'll go through when she gets married!!

Nice vine/bar menu, what poison did you go for.

Cheers.. (Actually this time)

20. LauraR

:) Thanks sikvik. Yep, I was thinking of my sweet sixteen thread when I put this up yesterday. I swear it seems like 2 months ago, not 2 years ago.

She's actually looking to go out of state and go south anywhere from North Carolina, South Caroline or Virginia (3 1/2 to 10 drive). I guess she wants to get away from the cold weather (preferable to thinking she wants to get away from us LOL)

Wow. 16 for you, huh? Where does she want to go? My girls attend boarding school here (20 minutes from home) and they have a huge amount of international students. I was just facebook messaging this morning with their friend from South Korea who we are a host family for. His sister is 15 and I was asking if she was going to be coming over as well and he said his dad wouldn't let a daughter travel abroad and his mom would be too lonely. I thought that was cute.

I didn't order one of those yummy sounding drinks. I just ended up with a margarita. Not very fun and much more expensive than I would have anticipated. :-D

21. LauraR

It was a very cool ambiance, but no margarita is worth that much! I was shocked because the drink menu prices were your typical Philly prices ($10-13). This is the place (we were actually sitting right at that round booth with the highchair is):

[​IMG]

22. DavidGP

$17 a drink, I know I'm rich but holey hell not that rich to pay for those drinks, rather hire a bar outright! Hahha come to my house as I have all drinks and good spirits collection, and NO you will never get coke in your Jack D, ... sacrilege

WOw that place looks really cool Laura.

Sikvik neat on the US education, not great in the pocket but to ne honest best start in life is to have education and from a US school, well a sure leg up in the corporate market, so goof luck to her as I know if she devoted to learning as you are she will do brilliant.

23. TimW

Geezzz....around here you can buy a bottle of wine for alittle over $17 and take the bottle with you when you leave. How much was the bill?

24. LauraR

It really is a neat place for sure.:)

And I know on the drink! Craziness. I wouldn't even expect to pay that in New York City for a margarita!

If I'm ever in your area, I'll take you up on that, Dave! LOL

I love our restaurants in our area because there are a ton of bring your own bottle of wine. You can bring a nice bottle and not have to pay the restaurant.

There were 5 of us, so I know the bill was a lot. You order a lot of things to share and I think we got about 8 dishes, plus 3 desserts....and a dessert martini for me (Godiva Chocolate liquor and vodka).:-D There were the 4 of us and then my daughter's best friend. I'm not sure what the bill was since Vic took care of paying it, but I will tell you that that margarita was the most expensive item we got...no lie. I think the most expensive food item was probably about $12 or $13.

25. Anon-9aee479f8f

Anon-9aee479f8f Anonymized

Milestones in your child's life can be hard on parents for sure. One of the saddest days, but also a proud day, for me was moving the youngest child into their college dorm room and then having to leave. :cry You just know things will never be the same. They do grow up all too fast.:(

26. joffa

Wow nice looking restaurant Laura:-D
    Was the food nice?

Just some perspective on $17 for a margarita as really basic cocktails over here start at $16 and fancy ones can be up to $35 rolleyes We often go to a nice mexican restaurant and a nothing special margarita there costs $19.50 :(
    Over here we are used to being price gouged on booze as a 700ml bottle of Jack Daniels is about $45 on special at the Liquor Barn :cry
    Although wine here is dirt cheap (less taxes) and you can pay as little as $2.99 a bottle or $9.00 for a 5litre wine cask for something that tastes OK ;)

27. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

$20 to $35 for a drink? Wow, you 1%ers live large. :-D

I had a Shinner Bock at lunch Friday, sucker set me back almost $3. :-D

28. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

Million dollar question, Laura. :-D She has completed her IGCSE's and has another two years to contend with the IB diploma. So got some time to figure it out.
    @David, thanks- only time will tell, she's not ever been really keen on her studies. I suspect she's just wanting to get as far away from her parents. :-D
    There is an American school in Delhi, she is studing at The British School.

On the drinks front, I frequent a restaurant on the weekends and a double scotch would come to around 20 USD. Which was a pain. So for all of 200 USD I picked up their annual membership and now on weekends can have the buffet and all the booze one can handle for 40 USD per person. :-D
    Here's the place.
    http://www.theleela.com/locations/gurgaon/dining/spectra
    Weekend dinners are buffet- they need to add that on the site.

Cheers..

29. joffa

Yeah right that's just average restaurants or bistro prices :(
    Over here at a high class hoity toity restaurant, a dinner for two costs nearly $500 which is far too rich for me rolleyes

Geez over here we can barely buy a glass of beer at the bar for $3.00 let alone a boutique beer ....... Corona, Asahi, Heineken, Guiness, Stella Artois or any stubby is $6.50 minimum and a single shot of cheap whisky is $5.00 or a single shot of Jack Daniels or Jim Beam Black label is $7.50 and a single shot of Chivas Regal is $9.00 :cry
    Where are you Fred ..... somewhere near Louisiana or Texas....... so maybe I should think about moving ;)

30. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

In Louisiana. Should put that in my info. :-D

31. joffa

DOH :-o

32. DavidGP

Laura if you Vic and the girls are in my neck of the woods, gladly take you out for food and drinks in my city.

Chocolate and vodka, that's a weird one, I like vodka but that mix, I guess is an acquired taste.

@Vik really good for your daughter as that school has ties with Cambridge which is good, I wish her well in her studies to further her career, does she have a path in place as in medicine, technology etc?

33. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

I only wish!! She's been in touch with the college guidance counselor at school. I hope she gets her mind made up quick and also settles for the UK, simply as it's closer to home.
    Yep, a great school, went for a couple of PTM's and the faculty floored me.

Cheers..

34. LauraR

They do, kat...and are the cause of so many different emotions. Love, pride, frustration, laughter. It crazy...all great, but crazy. LOL

The food was really good. :)

Wow...those are some insane prices! And here Australia is a place I've always wanted to go. I'm not sure I could afford to eat and drink! Is it like that everywhere? I guess it's because everything is imported?

Good luck with all the school stuff with your daughter.:)

Okay, so between you and joffa, I suppose I shouldn't be complaining about my $17 drink. Sounds like my anomaly is your usual.

I'll take you up on that. :)

It's a chocolate liquor so definitely a dessert. Add some vodka and a martini glass with a little cocoa powder around the rim...yum! And I'm thinking less calories than the chocolate explosion cake my girls got.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds