Switching to a Windows Phone Today

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Adrynalyne, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Any must have apps?

2. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

You are going to find a definite decrease in your choice of apps with a windows phone as apposed to Android or Apple. It hasn't bothered me since I'm not a huge app person. I have all the ones I want.

My biggest suggestion is 'Cal': http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/cal/352d9174-fd31-4b50-8861-212f4fa1bc3c

I love my Windows phone, but the built in calendar is a disgrace.

All the rest I have are typical apps: Amazon, Imdb, Kindle, Pandora, etc.

Oh, I also got Ringtones Pro because I hate the built in ringtones: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/ringtones-pro/7a32dd8f-9ba3-4a3c-8a8c-93cbb4ba8300

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Oh I know. I'll code my own apps if its too anemic.

4. LauraR

lol. Okay..well, then you shouldn't have a problem. I haven't found it anemic myself since I don't need 10,000 apps, but I know it's been a complaint for people.

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

6. hitest

hitest Staff Sergeant

I'm guessing you will need an anti-virus program or malware detector. Just curious, what type of phone?

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

8. hitest

hitest Staff Sergeant

Agreed. Until attacks are crafted specifically for Windows Phones. I suspect when WP have a bigger market share they may be targeted more.

9. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

10. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

I just don't have the pioneering spirit I guess and rather than write my own Win Phone experience.
    http://forums.wpcentral.com/windows...ow-shockingly-bad-windows-phone-its-apps.html
    I was moving from a well set up (for me) iPhone and did not make 3 days with the Win Phone the link mirrors my experience. Keep us posted how it goes, it seemed like a good phone, but still in beta.
    Words With Friends is one of my favorite apps.
    I am not a heavy app user and since the first iPhone have had four crashes, three of which were updates and only one that required me to go to the Apple store.

11. LauraR

I am a HUGE believer that no phone OS is bad. It's a personal preference that does not make one better than the other. What one person thinks is the best phone in the world could be the worst for someone else.

I clicked on your link and have to say I agree with at least the first few reply posts I read (I didn't read any further, was just curious as to what the response to the post was). Of course, they posted their rant on a Windows phone forum and you would not expect much support. LOL

No phone is perfect (and that includes iphones). They all have their idiosyncrasies and their things that some people don't like. I listed a couple of mine about the Windows phone in my first post in this thread.

I had an iPhone for 3 years. My contract was up after 2, but I chose to keep the iphone just so I could wait for the Windows 8 phones to come out because I was sick of some aspects of my iPhone and wanted to give the windows phone a try. I've had my Windows phone now for almost 2 years. When my contract is up, I'll be getting another one (probably a Nokia instead of a HTC). I love the way it works and I much much prefer the highly customizable metro setup of it to the icon view of the iPhone. Not that this even matters, but I even find it much more attractive than the iPhone.

Camera-wise...as long as I'm outside, it takes much better pictures than my iphone did. Indoors, it pretty much sucks. That being said, I don't care about cell phone pictures because I'm very much into photography and have a professional Nikon DSLR camera. I can not imagine wanting to take cell phone pictures...again, a very personal preference.

Anyway...none of this was to tell you your view or opinion were wrong, because for you they weren't. Just a post to say I've had my phone since Win 8 phones came out and will be getting another one. :)

Oh, and as far as security goes. I do not have any on my phone and have never had any issues. I'm sure someone else can speak of this more, but I don't believe windows cell phones have issues with that yet. (from Kaspersky's website: http://blog.kaspersky.com/windows-8-security-apps/)

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  12. tjet

tjet Supersonic Majorgeek

I have had a Windows phone for over a year now and it was my first smart phone so I have no comparison reference.
    The major downside is no one does local apps in the Windows format.
    But all the major ones are available such as one touch access to Facebook etc.
    Internet access is smooth and fairly easy.
    The camera doesn't have a zoom but your can do a finger stretch zoom without blurring.
    On the up side it can store and display windows documents and power point presentation for viewing through other media.
    And pictures and music using the same media format as my PC.
    Meaning I can rip CDs and load them into the phone without hassle.
    It cost me 98 cents and actually functions well as an actual phone so if I upgrade I'll prolly get another Windows.

13. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

My camera can zoom :)

14. dyamond

dyamond Imelda Marcos of Majorgeeks

I didn't read through every reply here so I don't know if someone listed these.

I'm not an app fiend, like Laura, so there are about 3 apps (all free) I use almost daily.

SkyDrive
    Fhotoroom - great app for editing pics
    Pictastic - best WP instagram client I found so far.

15. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Very nice Jeremy, now I've never been one for "apps" per-say as having 100k's of apps that are naff, does not make a phone.

iPhones great starter for users but Android and Windows are basically caught up now in usability (not apps for the reason I mentioned), I've had 3 Windows Phones so far and on a Nokia 920 now, updates unlike iOS have been ok, no issues.

Now apps, to be honest a lot of the default apps are superb and I know a few have been mentioned already like OneDrive, Skype but even down to Office Mobile (ok basic but you can easily work on non complex docs.

Here Drive+ (awesome sat nav if you don't have one or want a mobile one, don't think its for non Nokia's though)

Does it have Windows 8.1 update on it? if so then again some of the built in additions are good Battery Manager is one, and others 3rd party or built in ones I have are:

Blink
    Files
    Office Lens

Built in Internet Sharing (have an ok data account, so I use this a lot with my Surface)

16. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Yeah it has 8.1 Update on it.

17. DavidGP

Cool :)

Some of the inbuilt apps for WP8.1 are handy, Data Sense, Storage Sense is much better now, guessing a MSFT theme there with the word Sense, Device Hub is handy.

18. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

19. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I am pleased so far. No lag, no jank. Battery life is way better but my battery is way smaller than my note 3.

Mobile IE sucks.

20. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

The integration with one drive and one note is pretty cool too.

21. DavidGP

Yeah OneDrive integration has gotten me out of a few problems, when I forget documents for work when traveling, do also check out OfficeLens as its a great scan tool for whiteboard and docs etc and sends to OneNote.

22. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

Sounds like you are doing well with the phone.
    What is the access time with OneDrive?
    I assume more convenient than DropBox an faster too?

23. DavidGP

OneDrive access time, don't know the actual time, but for me its quick on my 4G connection, but definitely more convenient as if you have OneDrive on at desktops or tablets the files sync so your pretty much up to date always.

Great for using the Desktop app in Windows 8 and downloadable for Windows 7 and using Explorer to move files in and out of the OneDrive file listing. 15GB currently free is not too bad, you can get extra 8GB with using Windows Phone (or just enabling once) Camera Roll Backup = 3GB and more for inviting friends to a max of 10 = 500MB each so max 5GB

Currently I have 27GB due to being part of beta etc gained extra that way.

24. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I've had a week on Windows Phone 8.1.

Battery life: dear lord, I have a 2600mah battery now, and its beating out the 3100mah battery in my note 3. Im at 40 hours off the charger and still have 7% life left. Thats with 36 of those hours on LTE.

Performance: Fast and smooth except when using live lockscreen beta (of course, its beta).

Applications: Found what I needed, and will be coding anything I cannot.

Browsing: Mobile IE still sucks.

Bluetooth integration with Cortana: Awesome. It actually added sms ability to my car. Cortana opens the mic and speakers on my car when an sms comes in and will read it to me if I so wish, and let me reply via voice. Note: my car does not have this ability, Cortana makes it possible. No Android phone, nor iPhone does this in my car.

Security: Who can complain about a bitlocker encrypted phone? :-D

Updates: I unlocked my device and added my developer account to it. Direct updates bypassing the carrier :)

Overall, I am very happy.

25. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

26. DavidGP

Nice review Jeremy, I found the same with my Nokia it beat the iPhone hands down and with larger screen to boot. Think the app and battery management helps alot.

Not tried the beta lockscreen as UK users cannot download it yet.

I agree with you on smooth quick responsiveness. Also agree IE mobile is naff, not the best they could have done.

The integration with BT and some cars is fantastic, Fiat's or majority of them (spec option on others) has Blue and Me which is a tie in with Microsoft, so runs a Windows Mobile OS, this makes using Windows Phones superb and adds more options like SMS voice control and reading of SMS, not all phones have this ability and not all Nokia's do either.

Cortana we don't have in the UK yet, comes in a months time IIRC.

Glad you like it Jeremy, WPs are very underestimated and the press/reviewers latch onto the amount of apps over usability/security etc

27. LauraR

Do you still like your phone, Adryn?

I have the HTC 8X and I like it a lot, but there is a major glitch with the texting that is a deal breaker for me if it's happening with your model. (On search, this is a big issue for a lot of people that was obviously never addressed)

Basically, the phone will randomly (regardless of signal strength) give you a 'Can't Send, Try again' error message while trying to text. Sometimes it takes 3 attempts to go through, sometimes it requires a reboot of the phone.

Are you having any notable issues with your phone?

28. dyamond

dyamond Imelda Marcos of Majorgeeks

I was having the same problem with my phone and picture messages. It would randomly decide when I could/could not send or receive them.

So I took a leap and bought This phone.

So far I like it, there are some things I don't like but I've only had it a week so far. I have the yellow one because I didn't know they had a pink one. It's almost a deal breaker. :-D

I'm waiting for my carrier to start sellīng the m8 (the rep told me in about 2 weeks), so I might actually get that phone and return this one. Not sure yet.

29. LauraR

Did you have the HTC 8X, dy?

Looks like the one you got has some good ratings. Not a lot of storage though. I'm with Verizon and they have the M8. My contract is up for renewal in Nov. This phone I have now works perfectly and is a 5 out of 5 if it weren't for the texting issue...which is a big deal now days.

I was thinking about going with a Nokia.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds