cannot repair

Discussion in 'Software' started by peterr, Apr 14, 2012.

1. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Win 7 x64,i5,6GB, MSIE 9/ Desktop is same and ceated disc that works easily.
    I did create one on this laptop before.

Start>security>backup my computer>create system repair disc.

I am trying to create Win 7 repair disc but altho it burns, it will not function -nothing appears. Tried 4 different make cds.

I tried F8 but it said it can't repair.
    i inserted the os dicsc and it said contact manuf.
    I went back a couple of restore points, ran SFC, ran CHKDDSK then F12 diagnostics.
    I am not a tech and don't know what is left to do.

Thank you
    Peter

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Brand and model of laptop so we can search for what key combo will present you with a boot menu. You can not assume that your laptop will boot from a CD/DVD exactly the same as your desktop computer.

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

A Windows repair disk is meant for more advanced repairs. If you are looking for a system repair (in-place upgrade, reinstall over itself), this disc will not do it.

4. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Win 7, i5,6gb,msie9 dell inspiron 15R, N5010
    In an attempt to fix this I am finding related issues.
    Error 0xc000000e is the message I now get when trying to repair.
    The reading to fix this is difficult for me to understand as it implies a format and re installation would not fix the corrupted configuration in the BIOS.
    I think it has to do with the pc not recognizing the cd drive letter.
    I have only one drive letter in the laptop's cd-rw drive.

When I use the os disc or F8 I cannot repair so i will have to manually get in over my head.
    The two symptoms are inability to create the repair disc and inability to perform repair.
    I can acces my backups with the Acronis cd but some readings implied that would not fix it. I also have two dvds that I created when I got the machine but it seems there is a corrupted configuration that revesing the software is not going to handle.
    I read where a person did a format and reinstall and the problem persisted. it seems like when you change your drive letters or boot options. There needs to be an internal fix.
    I am obviousy guessing as this is more than I can understand.
    Thank you for your help and I will give you as much informationas I can.
    Peter

5. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

>>Plodr I am sending you 2 pix of the event viewer which may or may not be relavent.
    I only went there to see how my drives were designated.

Attached Files:

• error.jpg
      error.jpg
      File size:
      95.6 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      91 KB
      Views:
  6. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

>>System and security,backup and restore,create a system repair disc.
    I thought this was a useful way of accessing some tools to enter Windows and repair items.

7. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

>>I think you found the answer. My boot order is 1-hard,
    2-cd
    3-etc

And shouldn't it be cd first then hard second?
    I entered the bios and tried to do it but did not know what i was doing with the arows so I escaped.
    Peter

8. plodr

I've never used any of the Win 7 tools for backup, recovery and restore.

On the Dell laptop, to create the recovery disk or USB stick, you need Dell Datasafe Local Backup.
    You insert the disk, or the USB stick, turn the computer on and when the Dell logo appears immediately press F12. This will start the recovery. You do not need to change the boot order in the BIOS. A lot of newer computers keep the hd as the first boot device and simply use some key combos to boot from something other than the hard drive.

9. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

>>I will only report to you what I got for replies when I posted in the MS forum.
    Four people have said they have the same pc and the same problems.
    One person said to use datasafe to restore to original factory state with many caveats about Mcafee which came preinstalled warning not to let it get involved.
    Others say that did not work.

10. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

>>One time is F12 and the BIOS for permanenet change is F2

11. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

>>Thank you for the referral but no luck - I wrote to the forum though.

12. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

>>Dell Insppiron R15 n5010

13. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Is there a way to fix,"Boot manager generic Failure" 0xc000000e?

14. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Looks very much like a hard disk failure peter. If you can get it replaced you should be able to restore your last Acronis image and be up and running again.

15. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

I used the 2 recovery dvds and all is up and running. Took about 2 hours of putting programs back with the data I keep aside but after running over night ans tofay it is ok.I ran hardware diagnostics with the dell support center and the drive tests ok.
    I have no idea what boot manager is.
    Thank you for replying.
    Peter

16. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

>>Hard drive is third in boot order behind diskette and cd. Shoud I use F2 to change it so hard drive is first or is this ok? It works fine and I can use F12 to boot from cd if need to.
    Thank you
    Peter

17. Earthling

Boot order is normal, leave as is. If you need to boot from CD it will do so automatically. I'm puzzled why you have used recovery CDs rather than restoring an Acronis image - after all this is one of the many situations Acronis is intended for. Aren't you using it any more?

18. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

>>Now I keep an early image with acronis. The other one was only 5 months old and the trouble was within it. i just created a new one which I will keep forever.
    Thank you for the boot information.

19. Earthling

Old images aren't of much use at all peter, almost as much trouble as restoring the OS from scratch. The way to use an imaging program is to take reguar images - once a month is good - and to keep just the last two or three. If they don't fix your problem it's best do a reinstall imo, though that has never been necessary in my experience.

20. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

>>Thank you for that. I keep my data on removable media[two of them] which I update as necessary so not much changes on my machine.
    As an old retired guy, I do not have as much to attend to as younger workers and businesses.
    I really do not image as one should with incremntal sesionss etc but at least if I spring a leak, I have the solid one to fall back on now. I already have that one for my dsktop.
    I have settled in as far as trying to learn as I think I can maneuver enough to stay afloat now but not get in over my head. ;)

21. plodr

Don't be too sure about this. Consider all the windows updates, browser updates (including the addons and plugins), security program updates (flash, Java, anti-malware and antivirus to name a few). As a "senior" retired gal, I don't want to spend hours re-doing all of those updates and patches. I try and make an image (full) about every 6 weeks to 2 months. That way, I cut down significantly on the updating required. I have images stored on external hard drives and some burned. That way, if I lose an external drive, I can go to two other sources for an image.

22. Earthling

Totally agree with plodr, though as updates are mainly monthly that's the interval I go for, but there's another good reason for regular updates too - they are the ultimate weapon against virii and other nasties. And don't bother with incrementals or differentials, just do a full at regular intervals and barring a mobo failure there's very little can bring your system down for more than an hour or so.

But working this way you do really need first to move all your personal stuff off of the system partition. You don't want that being overwritten if you decide/need to do a restore.

23. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

While I am using the pc, I use all of the suggested maintenance such as an a/v program and regular scans. It has real time protection. Also, I am behind a router.
    I keep all updates current; as a matter of fact, I have used Secunia for years to be sure my software is current.
    I have all personal information on two seperate removable media so if one fails I can use the other and replace the first.
    It is highly unlikely that the 2 pcs and 2 different media will fail at the same time.
    *Now, if I have to use Acronis, I would immediately update all the Windows updates etc and others that Secunia advises. I respect your help tremendously but I think the difference is that I have tended to get into areas that got me in trouble in an effort to learn. I am no longer going to explore, if you may.
    I am going to just email, and surf and avoid problems. I feel I am at a level where I can safely do that.
    If I try to use incremental backups etc I will be asking for trouble.
    Perhaps my perspective is faulty but I am trying to simplify and stay within my capabilities.
    I hope the difference of opinion does not preclude future assisstance from you.
    You all have been very patient and supportive and I never take it for granted On the contrary, I am very appreciative.
    Peter

24. Earthling

I'm a bit sad to read all that peter. When you stop experimenting and learning from it you stop living imo. And programs like Acronis give you the freedom to experiment to your heart's content, knowing that even if you foul up bigtime it's simple and quick to get back to where you were.

I do hope you think again.

25. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

>>I think I owe you a brief explanation; I have had a tough time with cancer for years and have residual, chronic severe pain from the surgeries. I am at times chair bound and on strong meds.
    I am trying to attain a balance whereby I am motivated but not stressed.
    Being 72 is not a biggy but I met a formidable foe in cancer. It slowed me down considerably.
    I have fun exchanging ideas in this forum and will continue to do so and yes i will rethink your position.
    Don't worry, I'll be around to pester you with my problems again.:wave

26. Earthling

Thanks peter :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds