Fan/Weather

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Oooops!, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

Hi!

We're experiencing a heat wave, and the computer fan shifts to highspeed after just a few minutes of the computer being on. Its almost 29° C in the house. I'm wondering if the weather is actually affecting the computer, or if the fan is inadequate. The computer is only a few months old.

Sorry for a silly question, lol.
    :rolleyes:

2. Olley

Olley Sergeant

its the weather.. if ur room temp is 29C then the case temp and everything else will also run hotter than usual

3. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

Thanks for your reply! I forgot to ask in my post,... is it ok to keep the computer running for a couple of hours, or should I shut it off soon? Is it dangerous to keep the fan running at high speed?

Thanks!
    :D

4. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

Have you set the tempertaure 'ALARM' (this will give you a warning that things are getting hot) and 'SHUTOFF' in your Bios. if not do so, you can choose the temperture you feel comfortable with and peace of mind comes as an added bonus :)

5. Olley

Olley Sergeant

"is it ok to keep the computer running for a couple of hours, or should I shut it off soon? Is it dangerous to keep the fan running at high speed?"

in one word, No, ur pc should be able to handle it if it is idle. but if its not being used u might as well put it on standby. the fans should be ok running at max, thats what they are designed to do, but obviously they will deteriorate faster if they are constantly at 100% rpm, but i dont think it matters too much.

6. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Bear in mind using passive cooling, it is impossible to get lower temperatures than room temperature (its a physical impossibility). By passive I mean a heatsink with no fan. Think northbridge/southbridge chips.

Active it is possible to keep low temperatures with high ambient temperatures, however your temps WILL rise (Delta T(change in temperature) is proportional to Delta E (change in energy)). The net energy flow will be smaller in higher temperatures.

As long as ambient temps do not rise above the stable limit for your passive components (within the limits of the capabilites of your heatsink's thermal transfer capacity), you shouldn't have a problem :)

7. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

Wow! I received a lot of responses! Thanks so much everyone!

I only have the computer turned on when in use, otherwise everything is shut down. I'm very sorry, but I don't understand what "Bios" is. Do you have instructions that a dummy such as I could follow as to not accidently mess anything up? Or would that be a little advanced for me to find out if the computer has a temperature alarm? (If I choose a temperature, what temperature do you recommend that it be set at? Sorry about this! lol)

Thank You!
    ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds