Restore registry with no boot

Discussion in 'Software' started by jamiehook01, Dec 5, 2009.

1. jamiehook01

jamiehook01 Private E-2

Hi All,

I am looking for some help, I recently got a virus/malware and cannot boot my computer As a result I need to restore my registry from a backup as that seems the root cause of why my computer wont boot.

I need to know firstly how I can get the registry backup from my hard disk with no GUI boot, it is saved in my documents - windows 7. (this was backed up about a week ago for something else)

Secondly I need to know how to restore it with out being able to get into the OS.

- I am running windows 7 x64.
    - I have tried booting into safemode from the windows cd and it just trys install windows again
    - I have tried using the windows recovery CD and it always fails stating the root cause is a corrupt registry

Please let me know if you need any more information

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

3. jamiehook01

jamiehook01 Private E-2

Hi Thanks for that,

I actually tried that with Linux mint booting from a flash drive before your post but I could not mount the hard drive to access it.

However I Have now solved the problem, After many unsuccessful boot attempts I finally got to a repair screen from the windows 7 disk and it gave me the option to open command prompt.

From command prompt I opened regedit and a gui version came up and I was able to backup the current registry and restore my old one!!

Hope this helps someone in the future

Cheers,

Jamie

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2009

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds