Generic win32 has encountered a problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by funky munky, Aug 12, 2006.

1. funky munky

funky munky Staff Sergeant

I keep on getting "Generic win32 has encountered a problem and will have to close" come up and every time it happens i have to restart the PC to get the Internet to work again what is wrong?

Cheers

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

3. funky munky

Do you think it is malware rhen?

If it is i will just format.

4. funky munky

I formated but it still happens so i don't think it is malware.

"Generic Host Process for win32 services has encountered a problem and needs to close"

Any idea what to do?

5. TimW

If you are all up to date (Windows updates, drivers, Spyware and Adware scans etc), bootup from your original Windows XP disk and choose 'R' at the prompt. This is the Recovery Console - press 'enter' - you will then be taken to another screen - choose '1'. It will ask you for the Administrators password - just press 'enter'. You will come to the command prompt. Type 'chkdsk /r' and press enter. You will see a lot of activity as Windows checks all your system files - when it finds any that are corrupt - it replaces them with a fresh copy from the CD and repairs them. This procedure is known to fix errors of the type you are currently experiencing.

6. funky munky

Cheers for the suggestions.

I have now isolated the problem to an external hard drive as it only happens when it is on.

Do you think it is a file on the drive that is causing the problem on the drive itself?

7. TimW

USB connected? Have heard that an pci external hub may help when the onboard is getting funky.

8. funky munky

Yep usb.

So it could be my usb ports?

9. TimW

That is a possibility ....if the drive is pulling more power than the port can supply, or if its just getting funky ....
    Start up and shut down problems can also be due to usb devices.

10. funky munky

would trying it in a different port help?

11. TimW

Maybe ....have had similar problems ....but am also assuming you have sp2 installed as this addresses some usb issues.

12. funky munky

I can't remember if i had sp2 installed as i only formated 2 months ago and i can't remember if i installed before this format.

I have installed it now.

I'm not going to do anything with it tonight though.

Thanks for the help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds