DVD to iTunes to Android?

Discussion in 'Smartphones and Tablets - Software' started by mommysews, Jan 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mommysews

mommysews Private E-2

Good Wednesday Afternoon,

I am trying to copy some of our own previously-purchased DVD movies to iTunes so that we may watch them on our portable devices (iPhone, iPod Touch, Samsung Galaxy Tab running Android).
    I am also trying to move some of the movies, TV Shows & music from iTunes to our daughter's new Android-based Motorola Razr 'Droid phone.

I have attempted to figure out how to do this myself. I tried downloading various so-called DVD-ripper programs from MajorGeeks, etc.. All are a fail (I am probably not doing it quite right).
    I have also been browsing through the forums and searching MG to see if I can find the answers myself. Again, I fail.

So - I thought that this must be a pretty straight-forward thing that some of our MG experts could do with their eyes closed.

If anyone can direct me to the "good" software (free, or I don't have any issue with buying if it will do the job easily), and can give me a brief outline of steps, I will be most grateful.

With thanks in advance.

2. PrivatePile

PrivatePile Private E-2

As far as ripping the DVD's, I have only ever used DVD-Shrink, to bring them down to a manageable size (removing subtitles, bonus features, etc), but it creates VOB files I play using VLC. I'm sure there's a way to move them to AVI, I just don't know it.

I do know however that I had an extremely difficult time getting iTunes to work with Android. From my experience, Apple doesn't like Android, so even when you do get it to work, the next iTunes update kills it. I eventually gave up trying to get them to play friendly. You can however, just copy any AVI file to your Droid and play it from there, just be careful iTunes does convert it to another format.

What I ended up doing is using a spare desktop as a media server that I can' play my movies from anything on the network. If your not that tech savy to set that up yourself, you can get a Seagate GoFlex Home media network storage drive for about $180 and its all pre-setup for you. You just log in and move your movies and music to it. You can even set it up as an FTP and get to your stuff from anywhere. Pretty cool device, if I hadn't already done it myself.

3. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Hi

WinX DVD Ripper Platinum may be what you are looking for. It has an easy interface to convert DVDs to specific formats. The down side? It's not free. There isn't any free software that will do what you want with the easy functionality of paid software. It's not too bad of a price though... it's normally $45.95, and currently on discount for $35.95.

Once you convert the DVD with this software, you simply import the file to your iTunes library and for the Android phones, just copy the file to the phone's microSD card or whatever.

Link: http://www.winxdvd.com/dvd-ripper-platinum/

Here's a screenshot:

[​IMG]

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Another vote for WinX DVD Ripper Platinum. I didn't mention it because I've never used iTunes so have never done any ripping using that feature. I use the "to AVI" option when ripping a disk to put on a netbook or USB stick.

5. mommysews

mommysews Private E-2

Perfect!

This is exactly the information that I was looking to find.

I am completely fine with buying software as long as it does what I need it to do. I tried Nero11, but it just didn't seem to be what I needed.

Could I just have one final clarification before I put down my cash on the WinX program?

Will this allow me to make digital copies of *protected* DVDs that I own? I am looking at our kids library of Disney DVDs, etc.. I am most definietly NOT looking to pirate rentals or Public library copies.
    I have contacted Disney Digital Copy and they will sell me Digital Copy disks of 11 of the Disney DVDs that we own (at $6.99 each). But they only have those 11 available. At $6.99 each, I thought that it might be more worthwhile to make my own digital copies with a legal software and choose the titles that WE want to watch on our devices.
    I am assuming that it is completely legal as Disney, etc.. will allow me to watch our movies on various televisions and DVD-CDR drives throughout the house - and our portable devices are simply alternate screens. Please feel free to correct me if I am mistaken.

I do also like that suggestion of the Seagate Media Drive. Our iTunes library is burgeoning and it might be nice to move it off of each of our desktop and laptop/netbook computers (we currently have 5 identical copies of the same 60+Gig all-legal iTunes library so that we can sync any of our devices with any of our computers).

Thanks again for so generously sharing all of your expert experience.

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

That's what I use it for. I have purchased movies but my netbook doesn't have an optical drive and I don't want to carry the movie and an external drive with me. I rip the movie to an avi file and put it either on a USB stick, on an sd card or on the netbook to carry my movie with me.

7. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Yes, the program I referred you to will convert ANY DVD to a file to be used on your computer, phone, iPod, etc. DVD protections aren't an issue.

8. MalikPeeler

MalikPeeler Private E-2

Great for this article. Moreover, here is another way to enjoy rental and purchased iTunes movies & TV Shows on your android

youtube.com/watch?v=HdBYGM3c3p8

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds