Routers?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by coboy, Feb 14, 2005.

1. coboy

coboy Private E-2

hey everyone,
    i was wondering if there was anyone who could point me in the right direction for an adsl wireless router, a not too expensive one. at the moment i have a dlink di-624+ which is extremely unreliable and i cant seem to get to work anymore, i also bought a dlink adsl wireless which just didnt work at all.
    if there are any suggestions on known and trusted brands it would be a great help,
    thanks,
    coboy

2. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

Linksys, Belkin and D-Link are the main 3 bands, I went with Linksys for my router as I've trusted them for longer, using the WRT54G router for a cable modem and works really well.

3. samserver

samserver Private E-2

many security problems with wireless systems ,should stick to wired
    if you still want wireless you're right linksys best
    cisco owns them (I think)
    they also sell the best
    next best for pro intel my router is linksys all my managed sys. are intel
    I have 1 nic by reltek yack is the word
    last thing is 3com not bad I have a card here but at present don't need to use it

4. coboy

coboy Private E-2

ok, well i have dlink cards in two computers, i am worried though that if i get a different make of router other then dlink then there will be communication problems between the cards and the router.
    i was considering a us robotics or a 3com, do you know if these are any good?
    thanks for the advice.

5. aLLiKZar

aLLiKZar It's not too late to back out!

The dlink cards should be able to communicate with any brand of router as long as you have all your settings correct.
    I use Linksys products for all my clients and for personal use as well. Very reliable and their warranty is really good as well.
    I would suggest this router

Also read up on how to secure your wireless lan

6. RickM

RickM Private First Class

Linksys is a good reliable product. I have one that I have had for a few years with no problem. Also your cards should work with any wireless unit. So far the only ones I have had issues with are the Belkin product, very unreliable and unpredictable. As far as security, use WEP, although not full proof it will keep the normal Joe's out.

7. jujet84

jujet84 Master Sergeant

coboy have you done any adjustment to your router.
    Have you chked for a updated driver

8. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

I'll back you up there RickM, always having trouble with my Belkin pci 54g card, keeps disconnecting from my network, whereas my 2 Buffalo PCMCIA cards are very reliable, and very cheap ;)

The Linksys PCI cards are very good, along with all products, however the firewall in the Linksys router doesn't seem as good as it's made out to be, I would recommend a firewall on every computer connecting to the network too.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds