BSOD linked to video card/excessive programs and possibly virus scanner

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Aflay, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Aflay

Aflay Private E-2

I have been using this computer for years now, and to be frank, I've been mostly careless. I take good enough care of it to where it looks nice, and turns on quickly, but I never really maintain it like a true geek should. Where to begin.

I recently got two or three programs that might have taken a part in BSing my computer. The culprits, if you will, but I'm not so sure I should take them in without questioning the strength of my video card, nay, my computer overall, and thus, my ineptitude to provide the computer with something it can manage (I may be the criminal in all this, I suspect, but hear me out.)

So here's what I'm working with.

HP Pavilion
    h8-1216

Intel(R) Core i7-2600 CPU @3.40GHz

8.00 GB RAM

64 bit

NVIDIA GeForce GT 520 with 1GB DDR3.

I got the bundle. Honestly, I tell myself it was a good deal, but really, I think we got gypped. 1500 dollars. My mom and I needed good work and gaming computer, and this seemed to do the trick. This computer would get my gaming tendencies done with the speed to do invoices quickly for my mother's work at home. This computer has done me a great service, allowing me to use multiple programs and in some cases, even games, without too much trouble.

So here is the long story.

She recently purchased a new computer, leaving me to use this computer as I see fit. For awhile, I'd use it normally, occasionally cleaning it's exterior and keeping the programs in line by disabling any that would slow down startup, simple things really, but I'm a simple man.

I recently came across numerous virus sighting a few months back, where my security essentials virus scanner would detect a virus every so often. At first, I figured "It's doing it's job", but then I noticed that it was the same, or a similar virus every time. I checked out this scanner called "quick scan bit defender online scanner", and it pointed out major bugs in the computer that were slowing it down.

I downloaded the Bit Defender virus protection software immediately, and fell in love with it. It removed just about every bug it could find, which were a lot, at least 50. I'd specify which, but the screen caps I took are gone, and my web browser is clean. I'll tell you why in a bit.

As nice as this virus scanner was, I knew it wouldn't last with the free trial and all, so I deleted it off my computer when it had finished, and installed the free version.

I purchased Skyrim this Christmas, 20 bucks, flash sale, I was so excited, as this is the first time I'd play a high end game on this computer in awhile. I loaded it up, and found out it was incredibly slow on full screen. I was upset, and instead of shrinking the screen (like I should have), I downloaded a tune up program called...well...Tune up Utilities 2014.

It seems to have cleaned my registry, removed unwanted programs from my computer, and cleaned my browser. The difference was noticeable and exciting, but the gameplay wasn't getting any faster. Eventually, I resorted to shrinking the game from full screen to windowed 800x440, and as small as the game is, it runs wonderfully fast.

Now we're at the crime scene. I don't know. I feel like calling it a crime. I feel guilty about everything. I was playing one of my favorite downloaded movies in WMV while playing Skyrim, constantly alt tabing to and from the game. It's crashed the game before, but never stopping my computer completely. The blue screen that followed devastated me.

Now I must find out if what is causing this crash, so that I can preserve this amazing PC of mine, and possibly, in the future, turn it into the custom rig that people would be amazed by.

My current solution plan is to buy a new video card, but to do that, I would not only have to afford a good one, but to hire an expert to install it. My mother suggests, from advice given to her by an old PC expert of ours, that the scanners on my computer might be causing this issue. This computer is about 2 years old, it might just be getting old.

So my questions to you amazing geeks:
    Should I delete them the virus scanners immediately?
    Would that hurt my PC more then help it?
    Would buying a new graphics card be possible on a stock PC?
    Is this PC worth saving, after the possible harm I have caused it?
    Am I worrying too much over nothing?
    And finally, what really caused the blue screen to happen? Abusing my graphics card, Abusing virus scanners, or is my computer just old?

At the very least, I just want my computer to stay alive until I can afford to fix it or build a better one, but if I can play Skyrim with no trouble, that would be terrific.

Attached Files:

2. Aflay

Aflay Private E-2

I quickly recreated the scenario to give you a better idea of what happened when the PC blue screened.

Picture actual game play, and the movie Kung Pow! Enter the fist playing in the media player.

Attached Files:

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

4. Aflay

Aflay Private E-2

Okay.

Not sure what to do next. Is this the information you need?

Attached Files:

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I think its GPU related. Have you updated the drivers? Apologies if I missed you mentioning that already.

6. Aflay

Aflay Private E-2

No worries. It would seem that it is related to my drivers being dated. I don't know how to update them, much less where to begin to find out how. I've experienced GPU problems in the past. Is their average lifetime 2 or so years? If so, then I have quite a problem on my hands.

What can I do to fix this problem? What are the expenses? Is there any way to avoid this? I would have never expected this to happen on a good PC like this. Also, sorry for all the questions.

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

8. Aflay

Aflay Private E-2

9. Aflay

Aflay Private E-2

One last thing before you close this thread.

With my specs, will I be able to run multiple programs like I did when it first blue screened, or should I give my computer a break?

10. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

That is a very good CPU, I had one myself for a couple years. It will handle whatever you throw at it. The video card is a little weak as you already knew and the ram at 16GB would go a long way.

That said, I don't see a problem with your current system, but do be careful about running applications that are both heavy on video card usage (games with videos playing in other programs, as you saw) and using multiple audio sources at the same time. These are the kinds of things that can cause trouble when multitasking, especially with games.

11. Aflay

Aflay Private E-2

Well said. I'll be sure to remember that.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds