Software + wireless adapter = BSOD :(

Discussion in 'Software' started by rockyjo, May 9, 2014.

1. rockyjo

rockyjo Private E-2

Hi,

I'm getting BSODs with Page_Fault_in_Non_Paged_Area that frequently reference WLANUHN.sys as the file culprit. Internet search indicates it's related to wireless connection, and one party indicates that other dll's may have been damaged by the WLANUHN.sys possibly corrupted driver, or corrupted from some other cause.

Can you recommend a repair tool for how to repair dlls (and possibly the WLANUHN.sys) that may have been damaged (without manual registry editing)? (I'm not sure if WLANUHN.sys is considered a dll or not.)

Can you advise how to repair or replace WLANUHN.sys?

I'm running a Qwest 11n wireless usb adapter, xp sp3, a Qwest Zyxel PK500Z modem, and IBM Thinkpad A31. I checked for malware just in case and none showed. Ethernet cable socket in the pc is damaged so using a cable to get internet connection isn't possible. The above notes are as far as I've gotten with internet search and talking with Qwest/CenturyLink which says WLANUHN.sys comes with the computer when it's purchased, (code for "not our problem").

I would appreciate your help. I'm not ready to give up yet. It seems like if I can get corrupted files fixed, BSOD problem might be resolved. Or you might know a lot about this particular problem...

I would very much appreciate your help.

Rockyjo

2. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

3. rockyjo

rockyjo Private E-2

Hello falconattack,

Thank you for responding so quickly :)

I have a Thinkpad A31, Type: 2652-C5U.

There was no ? in the Device Manager menu in Windows. The Qwest adapter device is enabled and says it's working fine.

More info on the Qwest 11n Wireless USB adapter and installed software that I have: Driver version: 3.0.0.131 Driver date: 9/23/2008.

What does run devmgmt.msc do?

Thank you for showing the Lenovo link; I had forgotten that it even existed because the IBM pc business was bought out by Lenovo, which you knew. There is also a built-in wireless adapter which I forgot to mention because it has never worked. So if I could get either the Qwest 11n wireless usb adapter to work without the driver apparently WLANUHN.sys causing a crash, or the built-in High Rate Wireless LAN Mini PCI Combo Card to work, it would be awesome!

On the High Rate Combo card: I had the original driver on the pc, Actiontec Electronics, Network Driver Version 1.07.35 and under the Status tab in Device Manager it said "unable to communicate with device driver." The Lenovo site had a newer driver and all the specs match for this pc, so I tried to update the Combo card's driver with the new one, but it didn't take the first time, so am at the point of uninstalling the Combo card driver and trying again.

Just so you know, I can't respond to you immediately after I read your post because submitting a response on that pc results in the WLANUHN.sys error and a BSOD, so I have to go to another pc that isn't at this location, which takes longer.

Thank you for your interest and help :)

Rockyjo

4. rockyjo

rockyjo Private E-2

PS. The XP version I have is XP Pro sp3.

RJ

5. rockyjo

rockyjo Private E-2

Devmgmt.msc shows a ! next to the wireless device when I try to install or reinstall a wireless device driver.

It seems to me that there are some other files that have been corrupted that are used when trying to connect and use a wireless connection.

Can anyone recommend a tool to repair the registry(?) that has one/some corrupted files relating to wireless driver(s)?

Thank you.

RJ

6. falconattack

You can download this

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/driver_fusion_(driver_sweeper).html

helped by this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXs3DHdbTUg

after this process is finished you must download this driver

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS002032

installing the driver following this procedure

Start Windows 98/98SE/2000/XP. If using Windows 2000/XP, logon with administrative privileges.
    Extract this package onto the hard disk drive.
    Click Start and then click Run.
    In the run dialog window, type C:\DRIVERS\WIN\WLLANACT\SETUP.EXE to install the driver. Click OK to start the installation process. If you have extracted the files to a different location, specify this location instead.
    Follow the instructions.
    Click Yes when prompted to restart the system.
    :wave

7. rockyjo

rockyjo Private E-2

Hello Falconattack,

From my last email, I tried to install the new driver, it didn't and gave me a !; I uninstalled the OEM driver (unfortunately, I should have rolled back), tried to install the updated driver, which failed again, and the OEM High Rate wireless device now has a ! by it in Device Manager. So, before it wasn't working but did not have a !; now it's both not working and with a !.

But, now I have rec'd your email. I have dnloaded Fusion, and understand it should clean out shreds of the old driver. I have re-downloaded the driver from the link in your note (same one I was trying to load which failed then), and will use Fusion and try again.

BTW, how do I know for sure that I am installing it as Administrator?

Thank you.
    RJ

8. falconattack

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds