Cannot install windows xp

Discussion in 'Software' started by Nexus_, Jun 28, 2015.

1. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

I am trying to reinstall windows xp in an old machine at first i thought it was the memory or hard drive but i swapped those out for other ones and i still face the same issue.

This computer originally did have windows xp but my nephew messed with it a couple of months ago and corrupted the operated system.

Well now i am getting around to reinstalling it but i keep getting blue screens sometimes thorugh the installation it says something about hardware and an error code marked as 0x00000006

Well after removing the cmos battery and resetting everything those blue screens during reinstallation went away however when i get to the step where it says it will take 35 min to install xp i get a fatal error message every time that i can never get passed.

The error says:
    An error has been encountered that prevents setup from continuing

One of the components that windows needs to continue setup could not be installed incorrect function.

I searched some of this and it said to possibly fix it by disabling acpi mode which i did but i only get a pure black screen when the installation launches so that didn't help

2. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

After everything you've done, I'm guestimating the installation CD is damaged.

3. sexyandy81

sexyandy81 MajorGeek

I agree sounds like your installation disc is damaged. I would try another disc if you can get hold of one.

4. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

The thing is i don't have anymore windows xp cd's

I have the iso and many dvd's but this computer only has a cd reader, since it has old connections i can't even put any of the sata dvd internal players i have laying around ( and i don't have any ide dvd players). I have a usb dvd reader but the computer won't boot the disc from it, nor does it seem to boot from usb because i tried to boot puppylinux from a usb stick.

If i could get it to boot from usb i could then make another xp dvd and get it to read , or i could just make a bootable xp usb stick.

This computer doesn't give me an option to pick where to boot from it just asks me to press the DEL key for the bios setup and that is pretty much it in terms of options.

If it would give me an option to pick from boot i could then pick usb

5. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

You're trying to do the imposssible. You said it's an old PC which is why it doesn't boot from USB. Furthermore, there's no such thing as a bootable xp usb stick. Your best option is to burn the Windows XP iso to CD. In the BIOS, set the first boot device as CD Drive. Load the CD, restart the PC, and follow the on-screen instructions.

6. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Can't you use the computer you are posting from to burn the XP iso to CD?

7. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

Yes but i only have blank dvd's i don't have any blank cd's, in fact its been a while since i burned something into a cd considering i can make bootable usb drives with something like rufus i found no point a couple of years ago in even buying anymore that and i already have a couple of hundred blank dvd's that i had leftover from years.

8. Earthling

Either get some or get a plug-in DVD drive.

9. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

I do have a usb portable dvd drive as per one of my posts, however the computer doesn't detect it nor does it attempt to boot the disc inserted in it even when i disabled every other boot option in bios.

So i guess my only option is to get some cd's, i wish i had some cd-rw that way i could re write over one of those but sadly i only have cd-r which have data on them and i can't seem to re-write

10. Earthling

I know we don't use CDs much now but I always keep a few RWs on hand for the unforeseen. Not going to break the bank is it? ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds