Do I need network controller for backup/restore?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Jesse Newell, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

I was testing a backup disc I'd made with Macrium Reflect when it asked me if I wanted to load drivers for the following devices, Network Controller, and said I would only need to load drivers if I needed that device for backup/restore. Do I?

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

If you have backed up to a locally attached drive, internal or USB, then you have no need for network connections. If you have backed up to NAS (Network Attached Storage) then you will need a network connection. My advice FWIW is to create backups when booted to the same disk as you would use to recover. I guess you backed up using the installed version of Macrium, which is OK just as long as you test that you would be able to recover when booted to the CD, which is what you are doing by the sound of it.

3. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

Yep, I've tested it. I'm using a DVD-RW as my rescue/recovery disc, and I've got my backup image stored on an external hard drive. So I can just go ahead without worrying about the network controller then?

4. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Yes you can. Try booting to your DVD and doing a dummy restore right up to the point where you commit the restore - 'Finish' I believe in Macrium Reflect.

5. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

That's fine. That's what I meant when I said I'd tested it. Thanks for the help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds