Is it safe to use CCleaner as a registry cleaner?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Jesse Newell, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

I was recommended CCleaner for some reason a while back and each time I've used it, I've used both the standard cleaner and the registry cleaner, but I've just seen this post on Microsoft's forum that's really worried me.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...r/cb10199f-4c78-49f4-882c-6130b4945b7f?auth=1

Why does CCleaner have a registry cleaning option if it's not safe to use?

2. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

That is the biggest load of :crap I have seen in a long while. CCleaner's registry cleaner is the safest of all registry cleaners. Simply because it's realy worthless. It will clean, maybe 10 - 20 % of the obsolete registry entries. I recently uninstalled Nero using Revo Uninstaller Pro. And then I used CCleaner which found nothing. I then manually searched the registry and found 20+ registry keys/values relating to Nero ShowTime. I deleted them.

3. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

Great, thanks. If CCleaner's pointless as a registry cleaner though, what program would you recommend?

4. Eldon

Jesse, back in 2006 I started to use Eusing Free Registry Cleaner. I liked it because if you unhide all files/folders, you can go and look if the obsolete file/folder identified by the program is actually obsolete. It takes time, but has never let me down. You can also backup the registry prior to cleaning, and you can restore deleted registry keys/values.

I have tried many registry cleaners and this is the only one I will recommend.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/eusing_free_registry_cleaner.html

5. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

Thanks!

6. sexyandy81

sexyandy81 MajorGeek

I have used the registry cleaner by CCleaner and not had any problems with it. So I think it's safe to use it.

7. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

Well that doesn't sound good. Maybe that's the reason I've been getting errors with my media player. I haven't tested other programs yet. Maybe if I did, I'd discover problems with them as well. Oh **** it. Enough with the mixed messages and the debate. I've used the thing several times now. Is it safe or isn't it?

8. solaris89

solaris89 First Sergeant

CCleaner does not have the capability to defragment the registry. Defragmenting the registry and cleaning the registry are two different things. CCleaner is the safest program of its type on the market. Also CCleaner makes a backup every time the registry cleaner is used;. if you began to have problems after using it why did you not install the backup?

9. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

How do you install a backup registry?

10. Eldon

11. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

12. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

"Cannot import C:\Users\Me\Documents\a\Desktop\cc_20150624_122054.reg: Not all data was successfully written to the registry. Some keys are open by the system or other processes, or you have insufficient privileges to perform this operation."

13. Eldon

Restart the PC in Safe Mode, and try again.
    BTW Can you remember how many registry items were cleaned?

14. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

Never booted into safe mode before. Is it easy to get in and out of?

And no.

15. Eldon

I use Windows XP Professional and Windows 7 Ultimate. I don't know (and don't want to know) Windows 8/8.1. Restart your PC and as soon as something appears on the screen, hit the Pause key. Read and you should see which key to press for Safe Mode. I think it's F8.

To get out, restart.

16. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

Thanks. That did the trick. Unfortunately, it didn't solve the icon message problem I've been having with Media Player Classic, but I'm hoping that'll go away when I install my new hard drive.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds