i need help pls after cpu upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by femaleneedshelp, Dec 17, 2014.

1. femaleneedshelp

femaleneedshelp Private E-2

my tower just had a cpu upgrade after frying the old cpu (forgot to plug in cpu fan to board ):

from there i re-seated the cmos battery and used jumpers to reset bios
    (was told to do that from friend )

now when i turn the tower on i dont get a picture to the monitor through the nvidia or even when i remove it and try with just the onboard gpu

i was told that the cpu would work fine with the Mboard but could compataility be the problem ??

my system is -

PSU - evolabs 400w atx v230v that came with my tower

i have a biostar MCP6P3 motherboard

athlon fx black edition 3.8 quad

1 stick of 2 gig ddr3 ram

nvidia 630 gt 2g ddr3 that takes power from the board
    and slow ati hdd

please help :cry lol

2. femaleneedshelp

also there is no system bleeps on startup

3. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

4. femaleneedshelp

ahhh not good news then

would flashing the bios help ?

if not do u know of any good MotherBoards that are cheap to buy that will work with my system

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
  5. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

Doesn't appear flashing the BIOS would help. Your board has the AM3 socket, which does not support the FX series of processors . . . that requires an AM3+ socket.

Depends on which way you want to go. If you want to build a computer around the athlon fx black edition 3.8 quad, then you can look for a motherboard with an AM3+ socket that supports this CPU and also supports your video card and RAM . . . this shouldn't be hard to find. I can't recommend a specific motherboard, but I have had good luck with ASUS products.

You didn't state which CPU your system had to begin with (the fried one). It may be cheaper to look for a replacement CPU that your board will support. You can check this page for a list of CPU's your board does support. Can you take the FX processor back for a refund?

http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=461#cpu

6. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

Could you be more specific about the CPU?

An Athlon would not be an AM3+ CPU, plus it would not insert into the socket. You cannot put and AM3+ CPU into an AM3 Socket.

An Athlon II X4 CPU would install in that socket.

7. femaleneedshelp

omg sorry yes everyone its the athlon II fx black edition 3.8 quad am3 :-o

8. femaleneedshelp

thank you for ur reply i cant remember the exact cpu model it was a athlon II x2 2.8
    it was ok but i like playing the sims 3 & 4 and everquest 2 and found them cpu intensive

im looking to get the fx 3.8 working since i got it free although the same friend is sending me another cpu in the post but i dont no what it is yet its probably a x2 maybe phenom II i dont no he talked about that one before

iv been without a computer for weeks now its terrible i cant cope without my everquest II

can anyone recommend a good motherboard for the parts i have ?
    thank you

9. the mekanic

AM3/DDR3 boards are not easy to find these days, but I dug this up:

http://pcdirect.com//asm4prosoam31....xvinEskW_Yr4wHiUYnzGXesr4PVak0earIaAsTi8P8HAQ

If you wanted to upgrade the board, and CPU this is a pretty good deal:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=9561083&CatId=14

Not sure what you'd be willing to spend, so I tried to find the best deal possible. Also not sure if you're full ATX, or micro so I went with micro on the second one to err on the side of caution. The first one is SATA III, and full ATX, so I'd lean towards it.

10. femaleneedshelp

sorry iv not been on thanks for all the links replys

I got the phenom II x4 hdz955fbk4dgm in the post today
    installed and on boot said doesn't support cpu over 95w

i really could cry :cry

so il be now looking for a motherboard

Q. what cpu should i keep and what one to sell ?

11. the mekanic

12. femaleneedshelp

hi i stay in the uk. i would rather not change sell everything am a student and really cant afford too
    --

At the moment i have 2 cpu's that i was gifted with ,

if i could find out which one is better i could sell the other one with my old motherboard to get a better motherboard even second hand one would do it would still be a faster than my older tower with being x4 ???

the fx cpu i had in system that it never recognized , has model code FD4130FRW4MGU

really ram for the new motherboard will be the only thing i could afford

13. femaleneedshelp

The motherboard would have to be able to use the nvidia card i have 630/640 i think it is 2gb ddr3 it said asus on the fan

(I have had problems before with it not fitting in other towers !)

i also like the MSI boards for the dragon on it's the same as my character on everquest II :)

please help

14. the mekanic

Keep the FX-4130 (FD4130FRW4MGU), hands down.

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Bulldozer/AMD-FX-Series FX-4130.html

I'd part with the Phenom II X4 and the old board. You could still run that rig for a while if you wanted to, and just not run the games at insanely high settings.

ASUS M5A97:

http://www.newegg.com/global/uk/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131872

It's a little more, but it natively supports DDR3 1866.

You could get the ball rolling with one of these (nice latency/timings):

http://www.newegg.com/global/uk/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148497

You could add another at some time in the future if you should desire. It's tough doing things on a budget, I've been there when I was younger and things haven't changed much, just the type of expenses...

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  15. the mekanic

P.S. The FX-4130 supports DDR3 1866 as well...

16. the mekanic

Did a little more research this morning, and came up with this in your neck of the woods. Much more affordable than Newegg:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/asus...m3plus-ddr3-pcie-20-(x16)-quad-crossfirex-atx

I have some Crucial RAM leftover from when I swapped from 4GB (2x2GB PC3-1866) to 8GB (2x4GB). It's been sitting on the shelf idle for quite some time needing a purpose. I'm just not sure yet what it would cost to ship it out. I'll look into it.

17. femaleneedshelp

thank you i have been asking around and have been offered a asus M5A78L-MUSB3 from a family member for the fx-4130 cpu will this work ?

if yes will the nivida card fit it ??

if yes i even have ram to fit it :)

thanks again :wave

18. the mekanic

It's a small board, but the PCIe slot should do just fine for the graphics card and the FX CPU will go along with the AM3+ socket just fine.

The only thing that might hang you up is fitting it in whatever case you have.

19. femaleneedshelp

thanks the mekanic

i am little excited i have bought a new heatsink-fan for the CPU and fitted everything in to the tower :)

Just waiting for a friend to come round to make sure everything is wired up correctly before turning on.

Although a have 2 Q's -

Due to having only sata connections and only having a ide dvd drive i have had to install vista 64 on to my harddrive on a other computer will his be a problem ? (it was a i7 dell laptop)

Will i be able to run the system with the nvidia card with only my 400w psu ?

most of the CPU calculators say i should be able to but 1 or to said that i needed 550 to 600w

so should i just fit it in or wait till i get a new PSU ?

i have been offered as 600w generic for 20 gbp from a shop near me although it might take a week before i could buy it.

20. the mekanic

It's quite likely the install will be a problem. It may boot and go hog wild reinstalling drivers, or it may not boot at all. Hardware mapping is essential on a new OS install. I would advise you borrow a DVD drive with a SATA interface to do the install and return it when you are done.

I need the full specs on the card. I would not underpower the system, as doing so is not good for the system, or it may not boot properly.

The "generic" PSU should have some type of branding. If it's "light as a feather" I'd be wary of it.

21. femaleneedshelp

Everything up and running now with the gfx card in (on the front sticker GT630-2GD3-DI 093194-03954 and on the back sticker YV02X0-U37 D3CVCM113547)

I have been advised that with only 1 stick of ram and 1 sata drive that it should be ok to use the nvidia with the 400w PSU as its power usage is not that high.

Just waiting for the install vista to finish (from USB)

Thank you for all you're help mekanic :heart

22. the mekanic

You're welcome.

:major

Your friend is correct about the card and the wattage. There is no six pin connector on this card and it's not very power hungry.

Take care...

23. femaleneedshelp

hi machanic iv just got some ram could u tell me if its ok to use ? lol

its 1 stick of-

samsung 4gb 2rx8 pc3-10600u-09-11-b1

M378B5273DHO-CH9 1142

24. femaleneedshelp

I just googled the manual and found it listed i am so happy thanks everyone

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds