How to find a router's wireless MAC?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PokeyBoy, Aug 29, 2010.

1. PokeyBoy

PokeyBoy Private E-2

I'm trying to set up a Netgear WNR834B as wireless repeater. I need to find the wireless MAC for the primary router (a Qwest Actiontec), which it will connect to. I been through the setup for the Actiontec and just can't find anything that tells what the MAC is. It does show the hardware MAC but not the wireless.

Is there any kind of software or tool that could give me the MAC of the wireless?

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  2. PokeyBoy

PokeyBoy Private E-2

I agree with your statement. My question is not about the local, wireless adapter in my computer. It's regarding the modem/router itself.

I also have a Linksys WRT54G router (not the one in question). From the setup screen I can view the status and all pertinent router configuration information. There are three separate MAC Addresses listed.

Router - MAC Address: 00:0C:41:83:7D:F4 This is the Router's MAC Address, as seen by your ISP.

Local Network - MAC Address: 00:0C:41:83:7D:F3 As it appears on your local, Ethernet network.

Wireless - MAC Address: 00:0C:41:83:7D:F5 As seen on your local, wireless network.

I think the first one, Router - MAC Address is the one shown on the ID sticker on the bottom of the case. Notice the only difference in the numbers is the least significant digit.

With all this said, what I need to find out is the Wireless - MAC Address of the Qwest Actiontec Modem/Router.

I would like to find some kind of software or utility that could query the modem/router and get that number.

Thanks

3. Fleming

Fleming Guest

I see the MAC and IP address but it keeps telling me its incorrect and the MAC
    this is their computer

4. techsent

techsent Corporal

Hi PokeyBoy,

Go to start/run type in cmd and hit enter.
    type in netsh wlan show all and hit enter.

Techsent

5. PokeyBoy

PokeyBoy Private E-2

Hi Techsent

You are the BOMB!!! This is exactly what I have been looking for. It worked perfectly for what I needed.

Thank you very much.

Doug

6. techsent

techsent Corporal

np, you're welcome.

Techsent

7. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Not true, I'm afraid. Most if not all wireless routers will have 3 MAC addresses, as PokeyBoy has said.

They need a MAC address for the router itself, one for the hard-wired switch ports (as they are on a separate chip), and one for the wireless adapter card that is built into the router.

Look at the router as three components within one box: a wired switch, a wireless adapter, and a motherboard to link them together. Each requires an identifier as each will pass only limited information on to the others (logically not physically).

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds