e-tax

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by CatT, Apr 30, 2012.

1. CatT

CatT I can't follow the rules

what is the status of taxation on internet purchases? i keep hearing congress putting off "adding" one, and yet, every time i buy something online, it's there indeed!

i recall being told that in theory you have to add w/e tax would be due for the state you shipped to, yet no one really does. later on, they told us it was based on the retailer's state, not the customer's. yet later still, the news claimed that it only applied to retailers who also had a brick-and-mortar presence in the recipient's state.

yet i still recall being hit up for tax as far back as a decade ago!

what exactly is the deal, has it changed in the last 10 years, and is it changing again?

TIA.

2. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

If an internet store you're buying from has a physical location in your state, then they have to add your state sales tax. Otherwise, there is no law that says they must, but some do anyway.

You are supposed to claim all internet purchases made that you didn't pay state sales tax on your state tax return (which may depend on state, although I believe all of them require it...at least those states that have a state income tax).

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds