Hardware rating in Vista giving my video card a 1?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LoneGreyWolf20, Mar 12, 2008.

1. LoneGreyWolf20

LoneGreyWolf20 Private First Class

Just trying to figure out why Windows Vista is giving my video card a 1. I realize it's only a 8600GT, but it should be scoring higher than a 1. I updated and everything, but it still says detected new hardware. It doesn't seem to be actually updating at all.

It actually tells me that I may not be able to do any gaming on it, at least graphically intense games.

I have re-run the test itself several times and it still gives me the same rating.

Any ideas?

2. biddy187

biddy187 Private E-2

Hi how much ram you got post a bit more spec on your computer have you updated from xp? and do you have the latest vista freeware from manufacrurers website?

3. LoneGreyWolf20

It's a brand new computer, so it's a clean install of Vista Ultimate 64 bit OEM edition. I built the computer myself, so no support for the OS.

Specs are as follows...

E6550 Dual Core 2.33 ghz Processor
    4 gigs of DDR 2 800mhz ram installed and recognized 2 x 2ghz
    MSI Geforce 8600GT 256mb video card
    Soundblaster Audigy 2 sound card
    Antec 900 case
    OCZ 600 watt Gamextream PSU
    EVGA 680i SLI motherboard A1 version with current BIOS and chipset

4. hegemon875

hegemon875 Private First Class

Have you installed the latest nvidia drivers? You aren't using the generic Windows VGA drivers are you?

5. LoneGreyWolf20

Nope, latest Nvidia drivers per their site for my card and OS.

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Sounds like missing motherboard drivers.

7. LoneGreyWolf20

Installed those first thing after booting up the first time.

8. biddy187

biddy187 Private E-2

I know its just a rating i had a 3 on my Vista ultimate but then on another day i had a 5 i have gone back to XP PRO for a while to see what happens im wating for the beta realease to be launched but Microsoft is looking at getting rid of it or changing it but it should not stop you from playing games unless its a faulty card try something else maybe but read this it may or may help!

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2159935/microsoft-revamps-windows-vista

9. Jerkyking

Jerkyking Sergeant Major

I have the 8600 GTS (256) and my rating is 5.9 Desk Top and 5.6 3D/Gaming. PC overall is 5.1 due to my processor. We have the same MOBO. I have not updated the driver/BIOS since I built it in May. Have you tried running 3d Mark or a game to see how it runs? Sounds like the Drivers are not being loaded/reconized.

10. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Which beta? I only mention this as this story linked to is from mid 2006 when Vista RTM was still in beta and the System Performance Index was changed to the Windows Experience Index as many hardware makers were not happy with that rating system, actually it didnt work well at all, until the replacement which we still have now in the WEI rating.

RTM scored my PC at 5.5 and with installing the RTM of SP1* now I still score 5.5, ( in the future with updates it will change to take into account more powerful hardware and the index score will go over the max at present of 5.9 ) the changelog to SP1 does highlight one update to this scoring system that may help in this KB Hotfix http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936613 and also you can get this hotfix now by filling in the web request form here http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=6294451 and they will email you in 24hrs or so a download link.

@LoneGreyWolf ~ try this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933478 and specifically Method 2 to clear the data store as it may have a corrupt value, then run the test again, if this doesnt work then try the hotfix I listed just above.

*due somethime this month for everyone as its now final version of SP1.

11. biddy187

biddy187 Private E-2

Sorry i dont mean beta i meant to say SP2 which apparently will solve compatability issues etc as alot of equipment i want to run does not like vista i had vista for about 9months and i do miss its features and the look is great as well as the handy windows switcher at the touch of the mouse button but it just had too many issues!

12. biddy187

biddy187 Private E-2

Sorry SP1 even !!!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds