Bad Harddrive 2 ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by parapa05, Jan 3, 2009.

1. parapa05

parapa05 Private E-2

Good day,
    First of all I want to thank Petaluma, for his patiance and willingness to help others!
    On my previous tread I did try to use Knoppix to sve some data from what it seems is a bad HDD, http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=178258
    well since my knoledge is very limited, I did follow instructions to the best of my ability however it did work.
    A SECOND APPROACH
    My second option I've heard of is to add the HDD as a Slave, well I did added it to my HP ( the computer in question is a church computer) my HP desktop ( WIN XP) tells me the hardware has been found and it tell me it is a HDD however when I go to my computer I cannot find it.
    QUESTIONS:
    1 - How do I locate this Slave HDD?
    2 - Of course, how do I open the contents once HDD located?

Thank you again!!!

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

If the drive has died, then you will not see it, sadly this may be your problem. Plugging it in and making sure jumpers are correct (if applicable) and it should show up. Sometimes you can boot into the BIOS to see if the drive is spotted, but again sounds like the drive is dead. If it makes noise, there is a chance. Let us know.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds