BOOTMGR is missing

Discussion in 'Software' started by skatefilmer, Jul 19, 2010.

1. skatefilmer

skatefilmer Private E-2

i just built a new computer and was trying to do a clean install of windows 7 upgrade i realize that was probably a bad decision now. anyway the installation process went along until it hit 52% it said it failed gave me an error message. I tried it again and it did the same thing that time i noticed that it had partitioned my hard drive and made a 100mb partition on it. The next time i booted it up it gave me it gave me an error "BOOTMGR is missing hit ctr alt delete to restart" and now does this every time i boot up.

any solution forum i found basically tells me to fix it from the windows installation disk but it wont boot from my disk either it just gives me the same error.

i also tried formatting the hard drive that didn't work either

any help on this will be greatly appreciated or even to reassure me its a software problem and not a hardware problem. thanks

2. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

In your BIOS, are you sure that the boot sequence is CD/DVD first (so it will boot into the install disk instead of the unfinished Windows installation)?

3. Break_Da

Break_Da Sergeant

the chap already said he was able to boot up to the cd...

4. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

It wouldn't hurt any to check,though.
    May have gotten changed from the partial install.

5. skatefilmer

skatefilmer Private E-2

yeah its set up to boot from the CD drive first and even when i bypass that and hit F8 to enter my boot options and pick either the hard drive or cd its the same error ether way just different steps to get there.

6. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

No, he said the opposite. The file BOOTMGR is a Vista/Win 7 boot file located on the boot partition, and the message is saying it can't find it. This will either be because of the failed Win 7 install - i.e. it simply isn't there - or because somehow or other this peculiar 100mb partition has been set as the active partition and the Win 7 bootloader is looking there for it.

Either way skatefilmer you have to get it booting from the DVD drive or you aren't going anywhere. Check the BIOS boot order as already suggested, or use the boot function key to override the BIOS. On my Medion that's F8 but could be different for your machine. Then use your Win 7 disk to attempt to install again ensuring you allow the installer to format the target partition. Win 7 is very fussy about the format and this is the only way to ensure it will install successfully.

It might also help to know how you tried to format your hard disk when the sytem can't be booted :confused

7. skatefilmer

skatefilmer Private E-2

i was on windows support for an hour and finaly resolved the issue.

1. problem with BOOTMGR missing
    the reason i couldnt boot from CD and kept getting the error was because i wasnt hitting enter fast enough when it prompted me too. apparently its like 2 seconds.

2. error instaling windows 7
    durring the instalation it would get to 51% and give me an error. apparently the problem was the windows 7 disk was "dirty" scratched/smugged. I cleaned the disk and also took out my 8GB or ram and left one 2GB stick in this seemed to help instal windows

thanks for the responces and i hope this post can help people in the future with the same problem. i will edit the post later tonight with the intalation error code for furture referance.

8. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

Thanks for the feedback - good that you've got it fixed.

9. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Heh heh. It's just TOO obvious isn't it, but not one of us even considered that possibility.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. It's always good to know the final outcome. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds