Windows or Hardware not working right

Discussion in 'Software' started by Denise_M, Dec 13, 2010.

1. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

Hi,

My Computer Components:
    - GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DQ6 LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Motherboard
    - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield cpu
    - mushkin 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel RAM
    - CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W
    - WD Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB, 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s - 12 internal hdds
    - ASUS EAH4650-DI-512MD2 Graphics Card
    - HighPoint RocketRAID 2300 PCI Express SATA II 8-Port Controller Card
    - LIAN-LI PC-201A 12-Bay Case
    - Dell UltraSharp 2408WFP Monitor
    - Windows XP Pro x64

I recently tried to get into safe mode but I couldn't do it. I tried tapping all the F keys when booting up but it continued to boot to my desktop.

Tonight, when I tried to boot up, it wouldn't completely boot up. The first time it went to the window with the scrolling bar. The second time, it didn't go as far, only to "verifying DMI pool data." The third time, I placed my Windows disk in the CD/DVD drive and I was going to do a Repair but the up/down/left/right keys wouldn't work. The fourth time, it gave me an option to boot up to Last Known Configuration That Worked/Boot Into Safe Mode/Safe Mode with Networking/Normally, but again the up/down/left/right keys wouldn't work and it started normally but got hung up at Verifying DMI Pool Data. The fifth time, it booted all the way.

Tonight is the first time this happened. I ran several virus/trojan programs and they found no problems other than a few cookies.

Recent history:
    PSU failed and was replaced about 3 weeks ago
    Two new hdds were installed about 4 days ago (no problem with puter until tonight though)

Floppy and CD/DVD drive work properly.

I don't know what will happen when I shut down and try to boot up again but I'll let you know what happens when I do. If the boot-up problem is sporatic, it'll be very hard to diagnose.

My mobo has a CMOS clear button. I'm going to press it before I shut down, after I shut down and again when booting up.

Does anyone have any ideas? Do I need to go on a fishing expedition?

Is it possible that my keyboard isn't working properly since I can't boot into Safe Mode and the up/down/left/right keys don't work? It works perfectly after booting up.

I'm heading to bed now but I'll be back in about 8 hours.

Thanks in advance for any help I can get.

2. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Clearing CMOS is done with the computer shutdown and unplugged.

I'd try that and then troubleshoot the new HD's. Try disconnecting the non-boot drive and see if any change.

3. rustyjack

rustyjack MajorGeek

Try the easy options first, i:e the keyboard first, then on from there ! ;)

4. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

Thanks rustyjack and sach2 :)

I don't have a spare keyboard so I'll buy one very soon.

Thanks for pointing that out.

I have 12 internals so I'll disconnect all but the boot drive and see what happens . . . a very good way to test the hdds !

This morning, my puter booted all the way the first time but it took much longer than usual.

5. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I haven't seen that error in a long time so I was just going by this very basic thread here.

12 internals is a lot to unplug. But since DMI seems to be a BIOS error it would not seem to be a Windows problem. It might also explain why the keyboard isn't working right. RustyJack is right it could be something as simple as a bad keyboard tripping up BIOS.

6. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

Hi sach2 . . . that's a good link, a lot of helpful info

I haven't done it yet, but I'm going to shut down, disconnect puter, and clear CMOS soon. If I still can't get into Safe Mode, I'll buy a new keyboard and then go from there.

Thanks again to you and rustyjack for your help . . . much appreciated :)

7. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

just thought I'd keep this thread up to date . . .

Last night, I unplugged everything from the back of the puter and pressed the 'On' button for 20 seconds and went to bed. When I got up, I pressed the clear CMOS button on the mobo for about 20 seconds. After I connected everything again and booted up, my puter went thru these steps:

- Main BIOS checksum error
    - BIOS auto-recovering
    - Wait hard backup drives ready (countdown to 0)
    - POST error occurs
    - Success boot record - last know best configuration

Then it booted up fine.

It hasn't hung up again, causing multiple re-boots to boot to desktop but I noticed that my M drive doesn't always appear in My Computer after re-boots. It may be the cause of the problem so I'm going to keep an eye on it and see what happens. I'm still going to buy a new keyboard ,,, they're cheap enough and I'll save this one for a backup.

I can't thank everyone enough for all the help that's given on these boards. It's invaluable and much more than appreciated !!

8. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Hi Denise,
    Just a thought that you may consider-
    Checksum error- Cmos battery could be suspect- A new one is worth trying.
    The M Drive,not always recognised,can cause a boot problem like this- check your connections and leads, and worth running CHKDSK /F on it

9. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

Thanks, baklogic. Are all CMOS batteries the same size/etc, or specific to a mobo?

10. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I believe they are 3.3v, as its been a while since I had to change one- you should see the voltage on the battery (coin shaped ) and usually you have to carefully press one side (sprung tabs) to release it.
    I looked your motherboard up- quite an advancement from that first one with thestand off problem:-o
    It seems a good gaming board, but apparently discontinued , now- shame how they do that- :cry
    You can test the battery when its out with a voltmeter to see if its dropped below par, but they are very cheap-
    As far as previous one's I can remember, they are the same size- but easy to check it, replace it,

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  11. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

The battery is a standard 3.0 V CR2032 that one can literally almost find anywhere. Maybe $5, worth replacing to eliminate a source of worry..

12. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

Yea, lol . . . and you know what? When I built this one, I thought that I did it right this time and installed the stand-off but found out that it shouldn't be installed this time :-D

I'll buy a new battery too, then I can rule it out as a problem. I haven't had the hang-up again and my M drive has been booting up with the others each time. I'll be keepin an eye on it tho.

Thanks again for the help :wave

13. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

It is quite possible that you had a loose/poor connection that caused it, if it has not done it since disconnecting and reconnecting the drives, so :foolish
    However having a standby cmos battery will not break the bank, but I would not change it, unless it plays up again, as they don't give problems that often, and sometimes last for years, especially as its a relative ly new board.
    Good luck, :wave

14. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

Switching the data cables/ports on the mobo didn't help. It could be that clearing CMOS and "rebuilding" it did something.

;)

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE !!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds