Password protect?

Discussion in 'Software' started by dyamond, Nov 9, 2007.

1. dyamond

dyamond Imelda Marcos of Majorgeeks

Hey guys, I have a problem. The guys I work with are usually here before I come to work and here after I leave (sometimes) and they usually use mine and my co-workers computer for who knows what.

For the past two weeks or so, when I come in my computer has error messages on it and the whole system has been acting strangely. I've been randomly getting kicked out of QBs, have had problems opening folders because I dont have access to the network when I had just opened them one minute ago, I also just found out the same thing has been happening to my co-workers computer as well.

I know there is a way you can make is so you have to put in a password when it comes off the screensaver but how? Is there another solution? I just dont want them to have access to our pc's anymore because they havent the faintest ideas about anything computer related and I'd really hate to come in to a broken one rolleyes

Thanks.

2. BigRedViffer

BigRedViffer Private E-2

Hi, if the computer needs to stay on then to simply password protect after the screensaver is quite simple. Go to control panel, click display, then the screensaver tab, next to the list of available screensavers is the check button you require. I'm new to all this but I think that will sort it out.

Regards Marsh

3. theefool

theefool Geekified

If XP, just hit the windows key + L, this will plainly lock the system. The screen saver should kick in later.

4. dyamond

and to unlock it? stupid question I know :eek:

Thanks

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

How about a hardware solution? Tell the boss what you are doing and why.
    Put this http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/SearchDetail.asp?productID=6590
    in the USB port and walk away. After 5 seconds, they won't be able to do a thing on your computer. If they take the transmitter, you will have a back door via a password to get back on your computer.

6. dyamond

Ok, I need something more then just a screensaver password. I just came in this morning to another error because then I realized they all they have to do is restart the computer rolleyes

Any other suggestions? Thanks.

7. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Hey dy

It's XP...right?

If you go into your control panel and click on user accounts...click on change an account...and then create a password.

When you walk away from your desk...click on start and log off. Anyone who wants to use it will have to log back on with a password.

eta...this is all assuming you only have one user account on the puter. If there are more, delete the other accounts if you can (not the admin one since that won't come up when logging on).

8. dyamond

Yes, its XP.

This will work if I shut off the computer then turn it back on too?

Thanks Laura.

9. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

The method Laura has described would require a password to log into your account on that machine, and yes, it should work for every restart of the machine.

However, this should be the same password that you're using after the screensaver, so she makes a valid point:

Are there other user accounts they could log into? Particularly administrative accounts they could use to log into, and change OTHER users passwords?

10. dyamond

Im the only user on this machine. This option sounds good, Thanks :)

11. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Make sure the default Admin account has a password too. By default OEM XP leaves that one wide open.

12. dyamond

Ok now you just confused meLOL would the one im on be the default?

13. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Have you looked at some software solutions that will lock specified programs or files or folders with passwords? There's lots of paid products that do this, and a few free ones....
    WinGuard (free) http://www.majorgeeks.com/WinGuard_Pro_d1707.html
    Security Toolkit (free) http://www.majorgeeks.com/Security_Toolkit_d4849.html
    ProgramLock Pro ($29.95) http://www.majorgeeks.com/Program_Lock_Pro_d1642.html
    Program Protector ($19.95) http://www.majorgeeks.com/Program_Protector_d3963.html
    And that's just the tip of the iceberg... like I said, there's TONS of others....

14. dyamond

Thanks for everyones suggestions but the best thing I think to do it create a password to log into windows. (which I have)

If someone could shed light on the admin/default thing.... I'd appreciate it. :)

15. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

What the name of your user account, dy? If it's not 'Administrator', you likely have a default admin account. You'll need to BE an administrator on this computer to reset the 'Administrator' password.

Try this:

1. Hit Windows key + r (or click Start --> Run)
    2. In the 'Run' dialog, type 'control userpasswords2' (without the quotes)
    3. Press enter (or click the 'OK' button)
    4. In the 'User Accounts' dialog, highlight the 'Administrator' account
    5. Press the 'Reset Password' button

Windows will now give you a dialog where you can change the password for the default Administrator account.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds