Icon with html files slowly got right

Discussion in 'Software' started by Wisewiz, Aug 1, 2003.

1. Wisewiz

Wisewiz Apprentice's Sorcerer

I knew I had done all of the right things. But still, when I opened an Explorer window and looked at my html files, all of them had IE icons next to the names of the files.

About an hour ago, I noticed a few of the icons next to html files had changed to the right one (the Firebird icon), but most hadn't. I rebooted for about the tenth time today, and more of them had changed, but not all.

I clicked a filename that still had the IE icon next to it and hit F5 (refresh display). Bingo! That file's icon changed to the right one. About 20 clicks on F5 later, all of the html and htm files I found on my drives had the right icon again.

I dunno why MSIE overwrote the icons, but they're back to normal. Thanks to everybody who did any thinking about this annoyance. Prob solved for now.
    Original message:

Once again, MS has struck. Today, my .html files all started showing the IE icon again in Explorer windows, instead of the default browser icon for the browser they open with automatically when I d-click (Firebird).

I went in to File Types and changed the icon, and it shows correctly in the Advanced panels, but Apply and OK leave it unchanged in the list of file-types and in Explorer. I've tried deleting the icon cache and rebooting and removing the .html file type (it comes right back with the IE icon next time I open the File Types panels) and rebooting several times in all that, and all of my .html files still bear the IE icon. ...

Last edited: Aug 1, 2003

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds