Asus K52JT - (sonix) Web Cam problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Trgovec, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Trgovec

Trgovec Private E-2

I've been having Asus K52JT for some time now and the webcam has always worked well. In the last week it started behaving strangely. I have to restart every time i want to have a video chat otherwise the other party doesn't see me. At that point also in skype it appears the computer doesn't have a webcam. I must also say that the webcam has actually never stopped working while in use in a video chat. Sometimes even the restart doesn't help, but the next restart usually sorts things out. If i go into the Device manager, the camera is there, but then it disappears from the list. :S

I tried to update the existing driver that i'd installed from a cd that came with the laptop. Asus wbsite offers me these 3 drivers:
    Azurewave Camera Driver
    D-MAX Camera Driver
    Chicony Camera Driver

It doesn't matter which of them i try to install - i always get upon clicking the installation exe file the same window "VGA, 1.3, 2.0 WebCam - error".
    The driver i previously uneinstalled is from "Sonix"

I also tried to update the driver trough the Device Manager, but the Windows report no available drivers to install.

Why is the camera disappearing?

and why the new drivers can't be installed?

Thank you so much for your help. I really need it :(

2. abekl

abekl First Sergeant

Can't find that model on the asus usa site. What region of the world are you in?

3. Trgovec

Trgovec Private E-2

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Approved a post from moderation, which has the model of ASUS laptop used.

What Windows version and Service Pack do you have installed?

What chat software do you use and has it been updated reciently? just wondering if the software is the cause over the driver. Maybe try a different application to just test video chat, Skype, Live Messeneger prehaps.

Do you have any yellow ! marks in Device Manager by any devices, if so what?

If you uninstall the driver from Device Manager then reboot and re-install the one from the ASUS CD (which I would imagine is the original one you had installed) and see how that works,

If you are going to post a log then please attach as per HOW TO: Attach Items To Your Post as it can be a pain to scroll down log posts of logs where 99% of the info doesnt help.

6. Trgovec

Trgovec Private E-2

Hey

i now know that the manufacturer is Azureware. (please see the attached log file).

The current windows driver installed is: USB2.0 PC Camera (SNP2UVC)
    version: 2.3.0.0
    Path: system32\DRIVERS\snp2uvc.sys
    file description: UVC Camera Streaming Driver

I have windows 7. I'm using Skype, but the problem is not skype software related. I don't have yellow marks in Device manager.

Sadly i don't have my original installation CD with me, because i'm not at home at the moment - and wont be for several moths..

Please help me out.

Attached Files:

7. Trgovec

Trgovec Private E-2

One more thing:

I've disabled windows automatic driver installation and tried to install the drivers from Azureware (i'd previously uninstalled the drivers), but no joy.
    The camera IS working, right after i turn the laptop on. If i go on skype chat right-away it works perfectly every time, but if i let it stay on for a while Skype will report that i don't have a camera at all and also the camera will disappear from the Device Manager. Restart fixes things. What's the reason for that??

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds