keyboard and mouse malfunctioning

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vampira, Feb 27, 2009.

1. vampira

vampira Private E-2

Yesterday my keyboard and mouse started acting weird. The keyboard isnt typing the correct letters (for example, the A key doesnt work at all, the Z key is functioning as the delete key, the backspace key types a random string of letters, and the shift key tabs). The mouse isnt functioning properly either (the left click is highlighting whatever I click on, and if I double click it opens the properties menu). Ive never had a problem with either before - the mouse is an old Dell mouse, and the keyboard is a Dynex which is only a few months old. The PC itself is custom built, running Windows XP Pro x64 OS.

I tried restarting the computer however I cannot type my login password to get back into the computer (Im writing this post from an old laptop). I attempted logging in to safe mode however the up and down arrow keys on the keyboard arent functioning so I cannot scroll down to choose the safe mode option, and the enter key doesnt seem to be doing anything either. My account is the only account on the computer, and is a passworded administrator account, and there is no guest account so there is no way for me to access the computer without being able to type my password.

I dont believe that this is an issue with the hardware as the mouse works with my laptop and Ive never had an issue with either piece before. Im concerned that it might be a virus messing with the controls. Before I restarted my computer I ran adaware and spybot which found a few things which I removed, but still didnt solve the problem. I attempted to run avg antivirus, however the program wouldnt update and hitting the Scan Now button wasnt doing anything.

I really need to be able to use my computer, but I cant get past the login screen to do anything at all. I have no idea how to proceed from here. :confused:

2. ibbonkers

ibbonkers First Sergeant

do you have another kb or mouse to try? My Dad's did that and it was due to a stuck key on the keyboard

3. silas

silas MajorGeek

I was going to say just try unplugging blowing on the ends of each end. Also there can be issue inside keyboard You cant see, like he said.

4. voodoo3rd

voodoo3rd Corporal

are you able to use the keyboard in the BIOS set-up?

5. vampira

vampira Private E-2

thank you very much for the replies. unfortunately I did not have another keyboard to try, however I plugged the keyboard into my friends desktop (since its plug and play) and was having the same issues with it. therefore, I went out and bought a new keyboard which seems to have solved all of the problems. I was kind of irritated because the keyboard was relatively new, however i didnt have the box or receipt to return/exchange it (I usually keep that kind of stuff, but I didnt think I would need it - lesson learned)

Also with a new keyboard the mouse seems to be working fine. Could a malfunctioning keyboard cause the mouse to not work properly? The mouse worked fine in my laptop, and works fine now - but with the other broken keyboard it acts all funky.

Thanks much guys :)

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

My keyboard was acting funky last night and yes, it can affect the mouse. As soon as I tried to type, the mouse stopped working. If I didn't use the keyboard (which is very hard to do) the mouse worked fine.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds