Backing up parts of the registry?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Tom Stalley, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Tom Stalley

Tom Stalley Private E-2

I've got a server running Windows 2003 and I know there are many ways to completely backup the registry using Windows backup app or ERUNT, but is there a way to backup specified registry trees without backing up the whole registry? Only portions of the registry are updated on the weekly and those are the ones I'm most concerned about backing up.

EDIT: I could setup a batch file to run through the task manager for Importing/Exporting portions of the registry, but I'm hoping there may be a program out there that can do scheduled backups and send reports on the backup progress.

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

From this link:

There is a better description of these files on Microsoft's site, but I'm having a heck of a time finding the page I was thinking of....

3. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Oh, and of course, there's always the method of exporting to a .REG file, for specific part of each hive.

With the right commands, I believe this can be done programmatically (edit: this is for IMPORTING into the registry only, AFAIK)

4. Tom Stalley

Tom Stalley Private E-2

While these are both solid solutions, I think I should refine the question. I guess what I'm more looking for is perhaps even a macro program we could set to do scheduled backups of the registry and reports when it completes/fails. From my research, I think what I'm looking for maybe a tall order.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds