DVI cable over VGA

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by goodtexan, Aug 12, 2009.

1. goodtexan

goodtexan Private E-2

What would the advantage be of using a DVI cable?

I think I have a loose VGA cable as I get a jittery display and a green dash bar across the top. I disconnected the cable tried another cable and the picure was fine. Went back to the old cable and the picture is still good.

The VGA cable i have is a short one that the PC shop gave me with the used Dell monitor I picked up.

Should I get a DVI cable?

2. teh computer n00b

teh computer n00b Private E-2

For starters, DVI cables support higher resolutions and faster refresh rates then VGA. To capitalize on those higher resolutions, you will need to be sure of what display modes your monitor and GPU can support.

3. goodtexan

goodtexan Private E-2

Oh. I have a Dell E207WFP 20" LCD monitor. It says 1680 * 1050 is the optimal resolution. My Gigabyte motherboard has the on board ATI HD3200 GPU which supports that resolution and more.

I have it set to 1680*1050. The maximum refresh rate is reported to be 75hZ. I am trying to play Transformers Revenge of the Fallen.

So will a DVI cable help?

4. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK MajorGeeks Forum Administrator Staff Member

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds