keyboard*not*working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by amanda222, Jul 25, 2005.

1. amanda222

amanda222 Private E-2

my son was banging on my keyboard and whatever he did put my computer in hybernation mode and when i turned it back on my keyboard didnt work everything else was fine...the keyboard has no power going to it at all...does anyone know how i can fix it?

2. amanda222

amanda222 Private E-2

no*i*dont*have*another*one*but*i*think*he*did*something*to*the*computer*not*the*keyboard

3. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

What makes you think it's not the keyboard?

You're going to have to give more information about your computer if you want any help...

Motherboard, CPU, RAM, but namely the Operating System.

4. Jerkyking

Jerkyking Sergeant Major

$10*bucks*, cheapest*thing*and*easiest*to*try*first.

5. Rob M.

Rob M. First Sergeant

Borrow a keyboard. Or plug the suspect keyboard into a system you know is working. Preferably both.

Swapping keyboards is the easiest way to confirm where the problem lies. If a known-good keyboard doesn't work on your computer, it may be safe to assume that the problem is not the keyboard. If the problem follows the keyboard to another computer, then you can be sure the keyboard is toast.

Unless you have evidence to support your theory that the system has failed, it's best to assume that it's the keyboard that's munged. It's the most likely answer. My guess is that the keyboard controller chip has failed. I've got two keyboards like that.

6. amanda222

amanda222 Private E-2

yea I turned my computer off and left for the day and when I got home and turned it on my keyboard worked...I knew it wasnt the keyboard that was broken because he used the keyboard to turn the computer off...so it must have been working until that last second and I didnt think it would have stopped working in the minute it took to turn my computer back on but whatever its fixed thanks for the attempted help

7. Rob M.

Rob M. First Sergeant

Glad to hear you're back in business. And thanks for letting us know.

However -- things electrical do occasionally fail at turn-on. When power is applied to a system, it has to deal with an inrush of electrical current until the system stabilizes. If a component is getting weak, that inrush can push it over the edge and into a failure.

How many times have you seen a light-bulb go "pop" when you turned it on, even there was no hint of trouble up to the time you had last turned it off?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds