Is it possible to block internet access for 1 user in a WRT54G?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by skiddyrow, Oct 7, 2005.

1. skiddyrow

skiddyrow Private E-2

I've setup a wired / wireless lan in my house using a Linksys WRT54G router. and want to provide my neighbour with a wired network cable to play LAN games. Can I block the internet access though since I dont want to share out my internet connection? Does the linksys router offer some setting to do this but allow communication for games?

2. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Yes it should be an option in the interface. But your better off charging a small fee for internet and sharing the wealth :)

3. skiddyrow

skiddyrow Private E-2

:) thought of that but he's already got the same connection as mine. I did take a look at the interface and its quite confusing. It allows me to block by IP address but the client machines are all set to configure ips automatically. so if the ip as changed manually within the range allowed by my router it could still be bypassed right? also its pretty confusing :)

4. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Should be an option to block by mac address. I don't have access to my wrt54g as I am writing this at work, let me check and reply back to you.

5. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

In the Router's Menu TAB look for "Access Restrictions".

While he is conneted to your system, you would be able to see his computer in the List, check for deny Internet Access.

:cool:

6. skiddyrow

skiddyrow Private E-2

Thanks - will try this when I get back home.

7. Jerkyking

Jerkyking Sergeant Major

Would see easier to simpy unplug him from your router when your not gaming, since he should be able to access that router the same why you do via its IP. 192.168.2.1.

8. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Yes he would be able to access the router interface if he knew the logon password and btw my linksys wrt54g has a default ip of 192.168.1.1

9. skiddyrow

skiddyrow Private E-2

yes - unplugging him from the router when not gaming is definitely a good option and I will do that! but I would still like to know the answer to this just to satisfy my curiosity!

He will not know my router password so thats not an issue. what i meant was, say my router assigns him an ip of 192.168.1.104 (101 assigned to my desktop and 2 and 3 to my two laptops) so im guessing this will be assigned. anyways, say I block the access based on this IP. now if he manually changes the IP to 180 or 200 (since my IP range has been defined as 100-255) then the internet would not be blocked rght? sorry if this doesnt make sense but im quite clueless :)

10. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

That is correct, you make perfect sense.

11. skiddyrow

skiddyrow Private E-2

ok - then pull the plug it is! i'll keep looking for a better way though!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds