Considering buying a 1080p Monitor without a HDMI connection.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by joeflint82, Apr 21, 2009.

1. joeflint82

joeflint82 Private E-2

As the title suggests, I am considering buying a 1080p Monitor without a HDMI connection. The Monitor I am considering at the moment is The Samsung SM2333SW which I can pick up for around £160. But for a little extra, I can get the Asus VK246H for around £205, this comes with a HDMI connection.

Up until now I have only ever had monitors with the chunky blue VGA connector, so even DVI-D is a step up for me, but my new computer has a GeForce 8500 GT graphics card with a HDMI connector. My current monitor has lasted over 5 years, and I have never felt it was inadequate, but it is long overdue for replacing.

I use my PC for internet surfing, and haven't played a high-specs demanding game for a long time. I watch all of my video files through PS3 media centre on a 40" LCD 1080p, and never use my PC to watch anything more than youtube files.

I do not envisage needing a HDMI connector, but am I missing something that could happen in the future that would make me want to spend a little extra money now?

What advantages would/could I gain from having a HDMI connector?

Thanks
    Joe

2. oceanspray

oceanspray Private E-2

i actually just bought a 22in vizio hdtv to replace my15in rosewill it has an hdmi input but my video card geforce 9800gtx+ black edition only has dvi output... so i got one of those fancy dvi-hdmi cable for about 20 dollars. let me tell you. it looks fantastic. even the desktop looks better. its like the coor scheme change a little bit. anyhow. i game and whatnot so hd is great for me, but even if you dont game i feel like you could definitely benefit because it just looks that much better.

one thing to remember is that unless you have a video card that supports scaling you can transmit to your monitor in 1080p if its a widescreen because 1080p uses 1920x1080, so you have to make sure your monitor supports 16:9 aspect ratio if your graphics card wont handle it you can always go one level lower. my monitor only supports 1680x1050 or something to that effect (id double check but we're having a fight right now) but its still pretty nice. at 22 inches diagonal, 1680 is almost hard to see (but my vision is not good)

3. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

The difference between DVD-D and HDMI is HDMI also carries a digital audio signal.

4. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

Another advantage of HDMI is speed of connection. Plug it in and you are going, no screws, no audio cable. If you plan to connect/disconnect even once a week HDMI is worth it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds