No sound, sound devices, mixer, etc.

Discussion in 'Software' started by griffer, Mar 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. griffer

griffer Private E-2

Hi. I am new to MajorGeeks. What I have read in the forums so far tells me that I am at the right place to get help.
    I ran "system recovery" and now I have no sound. After running some diagnostics, I got "sound error RESULT=0x88780078". I have tried numerous fixes without success. One thing I noticed today is when I went into BIOS to enable on board audio, it still reflects a Real Tek device which was the original device. How do I change the device that bios sees to the newer device that is in place? (Sound Blaster PCI 512) It was working just fine before the system recovery was run. I even bought a new sound card and driver but have the same results. Thanks for any advice that is out there. griffer

2. wildwolf220

wildwolf220 Oracle of Doom

:wave and welcome to MG's..

start a new thread HERE in the software forum.

you should get more advice in there.

good luck:major

3. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Just a quickie. Disable your onboard sound (Realtek) in BIOS, if that doesn't get you sound, start that thread.
    Welcome to MG. :wave

4. biddy187

biddy187 Private E-2

You must have the manufacturers MOBO chipset drivers for the Real Tek chipset in order to get sound evn if you use another sound card or not you will experience problems if you dont. I have had this and the only way was to get the MOBO drivers.

5. griffer

griffer Private E-2

I have disabled the onboard sound and still nothing. If I remember correctly, when the cable guy installed a new modem, something happened to thechipset(?) and I had to install a sound card and driver after that. Everything was fine until I ran System Recovery. Realtek The original sound debice is showing up in BIOS and I cannot get rid of it. I have uninstalled it , rebooted and realtek is right back on top. Also now it seems that there are multiple audio/sound devices. I have run Everest Report and PC Doctor and they are available to view (if someone can tell me how to ) Any suggestions? Thanks, griffer

Last edited: Mar 16, 2008
  6. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

If you have a retail PC, post the manufacturer name and model #
    Use Everest to get a report of your system’s hardware, OS, and drivers. Upload the report as an attachment
    Everest: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181
    When Everest is done scanning, click "Report" at the top of the Everest window, click next to get to "Report Profile", select "Hardware related pages", click next, select "Plain Text", click "Finish". Then when it is done processing, click "Save To File". Save it where you want to. (I would use Desktop.)
    Click "Go Advanced" in the MG reply box, scroll down a little way until you see "Manage Attachments", click it, browse to your file, click "Upload", and close the window. Then submit the post. You may have to also type something in the reply box, like, "Here's my report.", so that it will submit.

7. griffer

griffer Private E-2

It's an HP Pavilion 754n (2003). Unable follow your insructions to get "report profile" griffer

Last edited: Mar 16, 2008
  8. griffer

griffer Private E-2

Last edited: Mar 19, 2008
  9. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

This is the Intel chipset driver for your board. (I can never find the chipset drivers at HP)
    INF Update Utility - Primarily for Intel® 800 Series Chipsets

Install it and re-boot your PC.

If you still have a problem, here is the audio driver for your SoundBlaster:
    Sound Blaster PCI 512

If that doesn't help, look in Device Manager under Sound, Video, and Game controllers and tell me if there are any problems there.

10. griffer

griffer Private E-2

Thanks greatly. I'll give it a try. griffer

11. griffer

griffer Private E-2

Happy St. Patrick's Day! I did all that you instructed me to. No change. Here is a list of what is listed under Sound, Video and Game Controllers in Device Manager: Device-Creative game port- Device is functioning normally
    Realtek AC97 Audio- disabled (after trying it with new chipset)
    (MCI) sound- no driver available for this device
    (MCI) CD audio- no driver available for this device
    Audio codecs- Functioning normally
    Legacy audio drvers- functioning normally
    Media control devices- functioning normally
    Legacy video capture devices- functioning normally
    Video codecs- functioning normally
    Creative sound blaster PCI512- functioning normally
    I don't know if this is any help. griffer

Last edited: Mar 17, 2008
  12. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

I haven't run into this before, so this is a Google result. Make sure that the 3 MCI devices in bold are checked.
    Adding a Specific MCI Device:
    In Control Panel, double-click Add New Hardware.
    Click Next, click No, and then click Next.
    In the Hardware Types box, click Sound, Video, And Game Controllers.
    For MCI devices, click Microsoft MCI in the Manufacturers box, click the model you want in the Models box, and then click Next.

The following MCI devices are included with Windows:
    CD Audio Device
    MIDI Sequencer Device
    • Motion Video Device
    • PIONEER LaserDisc Device
    • VISCA VCR Device
    Wave Audio Device

Click the Finish button. [​IMG]

13. griffer

griffer Private E-2

The cd audio says there is no driver (in the proprties window), yet when I click "driver" there is a driver which is not digitally signed and there is no location noted. Tried to update the driver- has the most recent info available.
    I loaded MPU-401 Compatible MIDI Device from windows. "can not find enough resources for this to use. Code 12." I tried troubleshooting it, but I got more confused than a centipede in a toe counting contest.
    Wave audio device- none listed.

14. griffer

griffer Private E-2

Am moving thread to "drivers" 3/18/08. griffer

15. griffer

griffer Private E-2

How do I close this posting so I can move it over to drivers forum? Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds